Culture Club: Classy events
Florida Grand Opera double header, hip hop symphony and NWS gets jiggy.
Russian virtuosos Yuri Bashmet and Evgeny Kissin take the stage for the John S. and James L. Knight Masterworks Season. The repertoire will include Schubert’s Arpeggione Sonata and the Viola Sonata (Op. 147) of Dmitri Shostakovich, the composer’s last piece.
Thursday, April 21 at 8 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722; www.arshtcenter.org. Tickets $50-$125.
The New World Symphony hosts "Pulse," a special performance where the New World Center will transform into a nighclub with DJ Mason Bates spinning electronic music and New World fellows presenting short performances featuring music such as Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra, Reich’s 8 Lines, Rimaniero’s Blue Steel and Bates’ Mothership.
Friday, April 22 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach; 305-673-3331 or www.nws.edu.
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
Florida Grand Opera presents Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s opera with librettist Lorenzo Da Ponte in Italian with English and Spanish projected translations. The production is led by conductor Andrew Bisantz.
April 22, 27, 30 at 8 p.m. May 3 at 8 p.m. May 8 at 2 p.m. $25-$254. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
Florida Grand Opera presents David DiChiera’s opera, with libretto by Bernard Uzan, in French with English and Spanish projected translations
April 23 at 7 p.m., April 26, 29 at 8 p.m., May 1 at 2 p.m. , May 4, 7 at 8 p.m. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
HIP HOP SYMPHONY
Experience hip hop dance and a symphony orchestra like never before as they take you on a cultural excursion that blends urban, hip hop dance and music with traditional, classical instrumentation.
Saturday, April 23 at 8 p.m. Tickets: $32, $42, $52. Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222
See and Do
- Stage Door explores the songs of the 1960s with ‘What’s New Pussycat?’
- Raw intimacy in Carlota Pradera’s ‘Bare Bones’ at the Miami Theater Center
- Miami choreographer Rosie Herrera turns life in a Cuban cabaret to art for ‘Show.Girl.’ with Ballet Hispanico
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open