Culture Club: Classy events
Florida Grand Opera double header, hip hop symphony and NWS gets jiggy.
Russian virtuosos Yuri Bashmet and Evgeny Kissin take the stage for the John S. and James L. Knight Masterworks Season. The repertoire will include Schubert’s Arpeggione Sonata and the Viola Sonata (Op. 147) of Dmitri Shostakovich, the composer’s last piece.
Thursday, April 21 at 8 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722; www.arshtcenter.org. Tickets $50-$125.
The New World Symphony hosts "Pulse," a special performance where the New World Center will transform into a nighclub with DJ Mason Bates spinning electronic music and New World fellows presenting short performances featuring music such as Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra, Reich’s 8 Lines, Rimaniero’s Blue Steel and Bates’ Mothership.
Friday, April 22 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach; 305-673-3331 or www.nws.edu.
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
Florida Grand Opera presents Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s opera with librettist Lorenzo Da Ponte in Italian with English and Spanish projected translations. The production is led by conductor Andrew Bisantz.
April 22, 27, 30 at 8 p.m. May 3 at 8 p.m. May 8 at 2 p.m. $25-$254. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
Florida Grand Opera presents David DiChiera’s opera, with libretto by Bernard Uzan, in French with English and Spanish projected translations
April 23 at 7 p.m., April 26, 29 at 8 p.m., May 1 at 2 p.m. , May 4, 7 at 8 p.m. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
HIP HOP SYMPHONY
Experience hip hop dance and a symphony orchestra like never before as they take you on a cultural excursion that blends urban, hip hop dance and music with traditional, classical instrumentation.
Saturday, April 23 at 8 p.m. Tickets: $32, $42, $52. Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222
See and Do
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Siempre Flamenco hosts Cafe Cantante at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- The Rhythm Foundation's Dance Band Night kicks off with The French Horn
- What if Works presents Chekhov's 'The Cherry Orchard'
- A more modest ‘Anything Goes’ docks at the Broward Center
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Bayfront Park upgrades summer lineup in downtown Miami
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains