Culture Club: Classy events
Florida Grand Opera double header, hip hop symphony and NWS gets jiggy.
Russian virtuosos Yuri Bashmet and Evgeny Kissin take the stage for the John S. and James L. Knight Masterworks Season. The repertoire will include Schubert’s Arpeggione Sonata and the Viola Sonata (Op. 147) of Dmitri Shostakovich, the composer’s last piece.
Thursday, April 21 at 8 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722; www.arshtcenter.org. Tickets $50-$125.
The New World Symphony hosts "Pulse," a special performance where the New World Center will transform into a nighclub with DJ Mason Bates spinning electronic music and New World fellows presenting short performances featuring music such as Bartok’s Concerto for Orchestra, Reich’s 8 Lines, Rimaniero’s Blue Steel and Bates’ Mothership.
Friday, April 22 at 9:30 p.m. Tickets are $20. New World Center, 500 17th St., Miami Beach; 305-673-3331 or www.nws.edu.
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
Florida Grand Opera presents Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s opera with librettist Lorenzo Da Ponte in Italian with English and Spanish projected translations. The production is led by conductor Andrew Bisantz.
April 22, 27, 30 at 8 p.m. May 3 at 8 p.m. May 8 at 2 p.m. $25-$254. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
Florida Grand Opera presents David DiChiera’s opera, with libretto by Bernard Uzan, in French with English and Spanish projected translations
April 23 at 7 p.m., April 26, 29 at 8 p.m., May 1 at 2 p.m. , May 4, 7 at 8 p.m. Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-949-6722.
HIP HOP SYMPHONY
Experience hip hop dance and a symphony orchestra like never before as they take you on a cultural excursion that blends urban, hip hop dance and music with traditional, classical instrumentation.
Saturday, April 23 at 8 p.m. Tickets: $32, $42, $52. Broward Center for the Performing Arts, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 954-462-0222
See and Do
- Las Olas Art Fair takes over the streets of Fort Lauderdale this weekend
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Surreal dance stories from Cuba
- Miami.com debuts ‘Ocho de Noche’ series with exclusive event at Teatro Trail on Aug. 26
- A complete guide to Miami's many museums
- 3 movies to see, 2 to skip this weekend June 17-19
- 3 movies to see, 2 to skip this weekend June 10-12
- Ultimate Guide to Broward County Museums
- Ultimate Guide to Miami's Museums
- Are you ready for a Miami art festival celebrating nudity and eroticism?