CubaNostalgia brings Cuba to Miami
Take a trip to the Cuba of yesteryear at the annual celebration of Cuban culture, music, history and food.
Friday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
Miami-Dade County Fair Expo Center, 10901 Coral Way, Miami
$12, kids under 12 $6
For those who long for a taste of Cuba, CubaNostalgia brings the island's highlights to Miami, bypassing the political drama and heading straight to the fun stuff - the food, the culture and, of course, the music. This weekend the annual festival takes over the Miami-Dade County Fair Expo space on Coral Way, setting up a Cuba proxy complete with replicas of historic places like the Malecón, the oceanside boulevard for evening strolls; a Cuban bodega or corner store; a shrine for Our Lady of Caridad del Cobre, the island's celebrated virgin.
The event will be brimming with memorabilia - yearbooks, vintage records, stamps, currency, medals - that evoke pre-Revolutionary Cuba and remind exiles and subsequent generations of life on the island. Fine Cuban art galleries will feature classic artists such as Lam, Pelaez and Portocarrero, as well as contemporary artists, such as Calzada, Mijares and Bermudez along with up-and-coming artists offering their works in a variety of mediums.
Buy recordings the best sounds from Cuba - habanera, danzon, son, cha cha cha, pregon, bolero, guaracha, and mambo - from vendors while enjoying the Cuban rhythms that fill the air. Lourdes Nuviola will channel Celia Cruz in a performances of the Guarachera's hits, plus Floyd y Los Rumberos, Mr. 786 and many more take the stage.
Sip on a Cuba Libre or a mojito, dance a little cha cha cha and make sure your guayabera is properly ironed.
See and Do
- Michael Franti & Spearhead headline music and yoga festival
- 10 things not to miss this week: Art, Marvel comics & freebie fun
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 25-27
- Absorbing and exquisitely acted, GableStage’s ‘The Whale’ is a study in connection
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13