Crumb on Parchment
Old school deliciousness arrives in the Design District courtesy of Michelle Bernstein
Crumb on Parchment
3930 NE 2 Ave, Miami
The goods: Crumb on Parchment, a dainty bakery-café in the Design District, proves you cannot live on bread alone – coconut cake and blondie brownies are necessary too. The dollhouse-like space is the brainchild of chef Michelle Bernstein, who used her mother’s recipes as the basis for the comfort-food menu.
Media mavens and gallery owners descend on the airy spot to lunch on hearty sandwiches and feather-light cakes. Coffee is self-serve, and there’s free Wi-Fi (look for the password on the blackboard menu). Two caveats: Crumb is only open 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and only takes cash.
Ambience: Located in the atrium of the 3930 building, the spot looks like something you’d find in Brooklyn or San Francisco, with rustic wood tables, floral couches and whitewashed coffee tables.
The grub: Boulangerie-style dishes and classic American baked goods. Desserts like red velvet cupcakes, coffee cake and a tart lemon meringue pie are made in-house (bread is not). Prices are moderate: most salads are $7, sandwiches are under $9 and desserts are $1.50-$5. There are lots of wines by the glass in case you want a crisp chardonnay with that arugula salad.
Sandwiches include thick-cut grilled cheese, roast beef with horseradish sauce and the BLaT — bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Salads include tomatoes with corn, arugula, avocado and blue cheese and a local butter lettuce topped with jalapeno ranch dressing.
But the spotlight is on the sweet stuff – old-school glass domes brimming with fig and pear cake, chocolate chunk cookies and s scones both savory and sweet.
Verdict: The Design District’s latest power lunch spot is also a cozy dessert place.
- OTC is now Golden Fig with farm-fresh eats
- r+d pop up by jugofresh wants to feed you veggies
- Stephen Starr's The Continental is a Retro Diner in South Beach
- Sugarloaf brings craft cocktails and a Wynwood-y vibe to Sunny Isles
- Michelin-level Momo Sushi pops up at the Mondrian
- Crust brings pizza and late-night delivery to the Miami River
- 9Beach is a lounge/restaurant/bar hailing from the Holy Land
- Small plates and alfresco vibes at Deck Sixteen
- Outrageous desserts and American classics at Sugar Factory
- Red Ginger rolls sushi and izakaya small plates in SoFi