Crumb on Parchment
Old school deliciousness arrives in the Design District courtesy of Michelle Bernstein
The goods: Crumb on Parchment, a dainty bakery-café in the Design District, proves you cannot live on bread alone – coconut cake and blondie brownies are necessary too. The dollhouse-like space is the brainchild of chef Michelle Bernstein, who used her mother’s recipes as the basis for the comfort-food menu.
Media mavens and gallery owners descend on the airy spot to lunch on hearty sandwiches and feather-light cakes. Coffee is self-serve, and there’s free Wi-Fi (look for the password on the blackboard menu). Two caveats: Crumb is only open 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and only takes cash.
Ambience: Located in the atrium of the 3930 building, the spot looks like something you’d find in Brooklyn or San Francisco, with rustic wood tables, floral couches and whitewashed coffee tables.
The grub: Boulangerie-style dishes and classic American baked goods. Desserts like red velvet cupcakes, coffee cake and a tart lemon meringue pie are made in-house (bread is not). Prices are moderate: most salads are $7, sandwiches are under $9 and desserts are $1.50-$5. There are lots of wines by the glass in case you want a crisp chardonnay with that arugula salad.
Sandwiches include thick-cut grilled cheese, roast beef with horseradish sauce and the BLaT — bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Salads include tomatoes with corn, arugula, avocado and blue cheese and a local butter lettuce topped with jalapeno ranch dressing.
But the spotlight is on the sweet stuff – old-school glass domes brimming with fig and pear cake, chocolate chunk cookies and s scones both savory and sweet.
Verdict: The Design District’s latest power lunch spot is also a cozy dessert place.
Crumb on Parchment
3930 NE 2 Ave, Miami
- This Brickell spot lets you look out over Miami with a cocktail
- Why this sleek Miami Beach restaurant became a pizza and burger joint for the summer
- Why Daniel Boulud's Miami restaurant is going Mediterranean
- A peek at the new Bulla Gastrobar in Doral
- 5 reasons to check out PB Station
- A steakhouse with Pubbelly flare comes to downtown
- Where in Miami to find Uruguayan grilled meats in a luxe setting
- 4 new Miami restaurants to try in June
- Why celebrities flock to this South Beach spot for sweets and comfort food
- Where to find fast, healthy Mediterranean street food