Stay in with a Sunrise pizza, sub & wings feast
Crazy Sal's Pizza, Subs and Wings
8450 W. Oakland Park Blvd, Sunrise
Hours: 11am-10pm Sunday-Thursday, 11am-11pm Friday-Saturday
Prices: Appetizers and sides $3.25-$7.95, pizza $6.95-$20.95, dinners $7.95-$13.95, desserts $4.25-$4.95
Despite its name, Crazy Sal's is a pretty sedate storefront pizzeria in Sunrise. There's not even a wild and crazy Sal in the kitchen. The crazy part: Wonderfully zesty wings, saucy pies and fat eggplant subs. You can get typical Buffalo wings plus specialty versions like teriyaki, garlic and Parmesan, but our favorite are the lemon pepper wings with a citrusy pucker that's perfect for game day. Pick from a long list of pizza toppings including chicken, shrimp, artichoke hearts and capers plus the standards, or go for one of the 17 specialty pies. We like the veggie combo that pairs creamy ricotta with sliced eggplant, spinach, tomatoes and more, with marinara on the side.
It makes sense to get a full sub (it's only $2 more than a half ) and save part for later. We like the eggplant parmigiana with crisp and greaseless breading, smothered in mozzarella and a flavorful marinara. Dinners are generous, inexpensive and served with salad and homey garlic rolls that were still warm when we got them home. The breaded shrimp was moist and perfectly cooked. Our big disappointment was the sliced tomatoes on an otherwise appealing salad. When they're that anemic, it's better to leave them off.
I've read complaints online about slow delivery, but we picked up our order, and it was ready when we got there. We did have one crazy surprise: The big square of tiramisu we'd ordered was so delicious we devoured it right out of the Styrofoam box.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza