Cozying up to Cannelle
Fresh baked Swiss treats arrive in SoBe
1710 Alton Rd, Miami Beach
Prices: Sandwiches $6.75-$7.75, salads $5.95-$9.95, juices $3-$4.95
Hours: 7am-7pm Monday-Saturday, 9am-4pm Sunday
If the irresistible smell of fresh-baked bread grabs you as you tootle down a somewhat lonely stretch of Alton Road, you can thank Cannelle, which opened a few weeks ago. The Swiss-owned bakery (its name means cinnamon'' in French) offers up ideal hot-weather lunch fare.
Most of the menu is fairly light but with substance. Grab a sandwich on a fresh baguette with such refreshing toppers as red onions, green olives and marinated cucumbers. Fillers include roast beef, tuna, turkey, ham and tofu (grilled so not bad). The salmon salad, a delicate piece of fish on a bed of mixed greens, hit the spot with a house-made dressing and loads of cherry tomatoes. (I did have to add salt.) I was loving the omelet, which, a la Denny's, never goes off the menu. Cannelle's is yummy, with Canadian bacon, spinach and mushrooms. (Expect a wait.) The one miss, the Angus burger, was crumbly.
Forgoing carbs? There are options. Cannelle has a hot item de jour on the day I visited, it was a flank steak slathered in onions and garlic. Again, my nose was happy. If it's too steamy to rev up the appetite, the sweet garden salad with grapes, chopped pistachios and pears and cranberries sure does the trick. Or order one ofthe dozen or so freshly squeezed juices. The kicky apple-ginger-carrot is like getting a vitamin shot. Nice to know about when the mercury hits 90 degrees.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza