Confirmed: La Mar by Gaston Acurio opening at Mandarin Oriental, Miami in December
As we first reported on August 8, it is now confirmed that Peruvian tapas and ceviche restaurant La Mar by Gaston Acurio, currently in San Francisco and Chicago, will open in the space formerly known as Cafe Sambal.
“La Mar restaurants celebrate Peru’s rich diversity through the creation of eclectic cuisine,” said Chef Gaston Acurio. “Miami’s unique blending of cultures and vibrant spirit is an ideal fit for our philosophy. We are excited for the beginning stages of this project and are honored to be working with Mandarin Oriental, Miami."
Meanwhile Azul is being revamped and there are plans in the works for a new lobby bar.
Update, November 5: Chef Diego Oka has been named Executive Chef at La Mar by Gaston Acurio. Oka worked at La Mar Cebicheria in the culinary mecca of San Francisco, as well as at La Mar locations in Peru and Colombia, among other countries.
Miami’s appetite for international cuisine and abundance of fresh ingredients drive me in the process of creating a vibrant new menu for La Mar,” said Oka. “I am extremely excited to share the flavors and culture of Peru with this vibrant and dynamic city.”
- Marion Miami restaurant gets set to open in Brickell
- Dinner Lab hosts Miami meal with gin pairings on Aug. 25
- Miami restaurateur Michael Schwartz faces federal lawsuit alleging employee mistreatment
- Wynwood Diner opens this weekend in Miami
- The District, Moye restaurants close in Miami
- Golden Fig opening to the public July 27
- Hyde Beach Kitchen+Cocktails coming to Hallandale Beach later this summer
- Chef Allen Susser delivers a sustainable seafood dinner
- Wapo Taco! opening Coral Gables location Friday July 10 with free tacos & beer
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space