Confirmed: La Mar by Gaston Acurio opening at Mandarin Oriental, Miami in December
As we first reported on August 8, it is now confirmed that Peruvian tapas and ceviche restaurant La Mar by Gaston Acurio, currently in San Francisco and Chicago, will open in the space formerly known as Cafe Sambal.
“La Mar restaurants celebrate Peru’s rich diversity through the creation of eclectic cuisine,” said Chef Gaston Acurio. “Miami’s unique blending of cultures and vibrant spirit is an ideal fit for our philosophy. We are excited for the beginning stages of this project and are honored to be working with Mandarin Oriental, Miami."
Meanwhile Azul is being revamped and there are plans in the works for a new lobby bar.
Update, November 5: Chef Diego Oka has been named Executive Chef at La Mar by Gaston Acurio. Oka worked at La Mar Cebicheria in the culinary mecca of San Francisco, as well as at La Mar locations in Peru and Colombia, among other countries.
Miami’s appetite for international cuisine and abundance of fresh ingredients drive me in the process of creating a vibrant new menu for La Mar,” said Oka. “I am extremely excited to share the flavors and culture of Peru with this vibrant and dynamic city.”
- R House restaurant, lounge, art space opening January in Wynwood
- Canadian chain Earls Kitchen + Bar opening Spring 2014 in Dadeland Mall
- Buns & Buns bringing the bread--meat, vegetables & seafood--to South Miami in 2014
- Say ciao to Serafina at Dream South Beach, closing at the end of December
- Former Miami chef Kerry Simon batting aggressive form of Parkinson's
- Eating House's spicy holiday greeting card goes viral
- Copperbox restaurant space in Wynwood for sale
- Chef Timon Balloo's Bocce Bar rustic Italian now open in Midtown
- The Rumor Mill: Eataly coming to Miami?
- Shake Shack Coral Gables hosts The Brooklyn Brewery Mash: Miami Edition December 9