Confirmed: La Mar by Gaston Acurio opening at Mandarin Oriental, Miami in December
As we first reported on August 8, it is now confirmed that Peruvian tapas and ceviche restaurant La Mar by Gaston Acurio, currently in San Francisco and Chicago, will open in the space formerly known as Cafe Sambal.
“La Mar restaurants celebrate Peru’s rich diversity through the creation of eclectic cuisine,” said Chef Gaston Acurio. “Miami’s unique blending of cultures and vibrant spirit is an ideal fit for our philosophy. We are excited for the beginning stages of this project and are honored to be working with Mandarin Oriental, Miami."
Meanwhile Azul is being revamped and there are plans in the works for a new lobby bar.
Update, November 5: Chef Diego Oka has been named Executive Chef at La Mar by Gaston Acurio. Oka worked at La Mar Cebicheria in the culinary mecca of San Francisco, as well as at La Mar locations in Peru and Colombia, among other countries.
Miami’s appetite for international cuisine and abundance of fresh ingredients drive me in the process of creating a vibrant new menu for La Mar,” said Oka. “I am extremely excited to share the flavors and culture of Peru with this vibrant and dynamic city.”
- Tap 79 Bar & Grill opens in Miami's Shorecrest
- Riviera Focacceria Italiana opens in midtown Miami
- Sriracha House slings heat in South Beach
- David's Cafe on Collins closing after 37 years
- Blackbrick Brings on the Brunch
- Pubbelly introduces PB Fish, a seafood pop-up at PB Steak starting April 8
- AQ by Acqualina, featuring Dewey LoSasso & Hiro's Yakko San
- Mansion morphing into "Miami-style country western line dancing" club with Blue Collar's Danny Serfer serving "large plates"
- Las Olas hot spot American Social opening in ex Waxy O'Connor's space
- Allen Susser's Daily Melt grilling the cheese up in Fort Lauderdale on April 1