Colombian Youth Philharmonic performs at the New World Center
Colombian Youth Philharmonic to perform a free concert at the New World Symphony on July 26.
Filarmónica Joven de Colombia
Friday, July 26
New World Symphony, 500 17th St., Miami Beach
Free, tickets at www.nws.org
The New World Center will receive the Colombian Youth Philharmonic on Friday, July 26 in a free performance that will feature piano soloist Eduardo Rojas. The program, under the baton of Alejandro Posada, will include four orchestral pieces: Prelude and Toccatta Tiento del primer tono y batalla imperial by Cristobal Halffter; Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 by Sergei Rachmaninoff; the famed Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky; and Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi.
The Colombian Youth Philharmonic was established in 2010 to provide kids from all over Colombia the opportunity to bring classical music to a new generation. Executive Director Helena Barreto Reyes is proud of the Philharmonic's success in bringing the classics to the masses. “I believe we have helped elevate Colombia’s social and cultural standing, and have provided scores of people, from all walks of life, with access to live classical music."
Much like the New World Symphony which calls the New World Center home, the Philharmonic is composed of the best and the brightest classical musicians in Colombia ages 16 through 24 who pass the rigorous audition process. The show will mark the first time a Latin American orchestra plays at the prestigious center.
See and Do
- 10 things not to miss this week: Art, Marvel comics & freebie fun
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 25-27
- Absorbing and exquisitely acted, GableStage’s ‘The Whale’ is a study in connection
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden