Colombian Youth Philharmonic performs at the New World Center
Colombian Youth Philharmonic to perform a free concert at the New World Symphony on July 26.
Filarmónica Joven de Colombia
Friday, July 26
New World Symphony, 500 17th St., Miami Beach
Free, tickets at www.nws.org
The New World Center will receive the Colombian Youth Philharmonic on Friday, July 26 in a free performance that will feature piano soloist Eduardo Rojas. The program, under the baton of Alejandro Posada, will include four orchestral pieces: Prelude and Toccatta Tiento del primer tono y batalla imperial by Cristobal Halffter; Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 by Sergei Rachmaninoff; the famed Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky; and Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi.
The Colombian Youth Philharmonic was established in 2010 to provide kids from all over Colombia the opportunity to bring classical music to a new generation. Executive Director Helena Barreto Reyes is proud of the Philharmonic's success in bringing the classics to the masses. “I believe we have helped elevate Colombia’s social and cultural standing, and have provided scores of people, from all walks of life, with access to live classical music."
Much like the New World Symphony which calls the New World Center home, the Philharmonic is composed of the best and the brightest classical musicians in Colombia ages 16 through 24 who pass the rigorous audition process. The show will mark the first time a Latin American orchestra plays at the prestigious center.
See and Do
- Gay past meets present in GableStage’s ‘Mothers and Sons’
- Seaon of the Arts: Top theater events of 2014-15
- Disney on ice, mini camps & specialty crafts - Munchkin Fun's picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 19-21
- Pop-Up Parks Sprout in Downtown Miami Parking Spaces on Friday
- Port-au-Prince Jazz fest comes to Little Haiti Cultural Center
- Flamenco legend Antonio Canales performs with 'Siudy Between Worlds' at the Arsht Center
- Disney's 'Worlds of Fantasy' skates into Miami
- Pigs Do Fly's 'Fifty Plus: A New Attitude' at Empire Stage brings a new batch of short plays
- Disney on Ice giveaways, kids cooking & freebie fun: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week