Colombian Youth Philharmonic performs at the New World Center
Colombian Youth Philharmonic to perform a free concert at the New World Symphony on July 26.
The New World Center will receive the Colombian Youth Philharmonic on Friday, July 26 in a free performance that will feature piano soloist Eduardo Rojas. The program, under the baton of Alejandro Posada, will include four orchestral pieces: Prelude and Toccatta Tiento del primer tono y batalla imperial by Cristobal Halffter; Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18 by Sergei Rachmaninoff; the famed Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky; and Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi.
The Colombian Youth Philharmonic was established in 2010 to provide kids from all over Colombia the opportunity to bring classical music to a new generation. Executive Director Helena Barreto Reyes is proud of the Philharmonic's success in bringing the classics to the masses. “I believe we have helped elevate Colombia’s social and cultural standing, and have provided scores of people, from all walks of life, with access to live classical music."
Much like the New World Symphony which calls the New World Center home, the Philharmonic is composed of the best and the brightest classical musicians in Colombia ages 16 through 24 who pass the rigorous audition process. The show will mark the first time a Latin American orchestra plays at the prestigious center.
Filarmónica Joven de Colombia
Friday, July 26
New World Symphony, 500 17th St., Miami Beach
Free, tickets at www.nws.org
See and Do
- Yass, Beach: Five Miami Beaches That Are Better Than South Beach
- 8 Best Places For People Watching in Miami
- 7 Best Spots in Miami to get Ice Cream and Frozen Treats
- 5 Quintessential Palm Beach Experiences You Can Have this Weekend
- Ultimate Guide to Broward County Museums
- 11 Places to Listen to Live Music Every Night in Miami
- 9 ways to know you are at a Miami baby shower
- 5 places to cool down in Miami
- Miami voted best city for facial hair - free trims this weekend for all
- Ultimate Guide to Miami's Museums