Clink: the vinotini
Wine, martini, you just can't decide. Luckily, Fleming's in the Gables makes a mean vinotini, and now you can, too.
By Jaweed Kaleem
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar's Sonoma Fog is a "vinotini" -- a martini made with grape-based vodka and white dessert wine and topped with a sweet froth.
"Just like a wine, there's a balance of the sweet side and the tartness," says wine manager Tim Truschel. "If you don't have a whip cream dispenser, you can skip the froth, but it adds a nice touch."
Mix 2 1/2 ounces pasteurized egg whites, 3 ounces sour mix, 3 ounces pomegranate juice, 2 1/2 ounces fresh grapefruit juice, 1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth and 1 1/2 ounces Cointreau in a whipped-cream dispenser (see note below).
Combine 1 1/2 ounce grape vodka (e.g., Roth), 1/2 ounce sour mix, 1/2 ounce Cointreau, 1 1/2 ounces white
dessert wine (e.g., Bonny Doon Muscat) and 2 cups ice in a cocktail shaker.
Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass.
Top with a 1/2-inch layer of froth.
Garnish with 3 frozen white grapes on a long pick.
The Sonoma Fog is $11.95 at Fleming's, 2525 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables; 305-569-7995.
The Whip-It! brand whipped cream dispenser is $40-$50 at amazon.com and other online retailers.
- Mixologist Carlos Morales digs into the state of cocktail culture in Miami
- Go Drink This: Proper Rum and Coke
- Date night? Try Lique Miami
- Go Drink This: Evergreen Eggnog
- Dinner Lab returns to Miami December 18
- Go Drink This: The five best Miami cocktails of 2015
- Go Drink This: Gas Me Up Punch
- Get your bourbon on at Shula's 347 Grill December 8
- Go Drink This: Dirty Pickle
- Go Drink This: Clicquot Rich and Peppers