Clink: The CQ Float & Poma Domo
Who knew making cucumber foam involved "bullets"? Who knew you could buy "bullets" at William Sonoma?
By Aurora Rodríguez
While sushi lovers might come to the Design District's artsy asian bistro Domo Japones just for another chance at nibbling on an inventive appetizer such as the salty Black Edamame or a sophisticated roll like their Scallop Ume Kyu, it's probably also the restaurant's unique drinks that help keep the conversation flowing.
Mixologist Elad Zvi of Bar Lab created the establishment's drink menu hands on. While all cocktails are worth a try, it's the restaurant's CQ Float that might make palettes tingle the most with excitement. "This cocktail is sophisticated, clean, aromatic and cutting edge," said Zvi.
Here's a peek at how to make your own float at home, along with a recipe for Domo's other standout drink, the Poma Domo.
Mix 2 1/2 ounces of San Germain Elder Flower Liqueur, 3 ounces of bubbly wine or champagne into a Boston glass filled with ice and stir. Pour into a champagne glass - leave one ounce at the top empty to add the cucumber foam. Top with cucumber foam.
To make the Cucumber Foam
Take a cucumber with skin and juice it, then warm juice lightly in a pan. Add 2 gelatin sheets (can be purchased at William Sonoma), 1/2 ounces of salt, 1/2 ounces of pepper and put all ingredients in a whipped cream maker. Add two "bullets," which can be purchased at William Sonoma. Let sit for one hour in a refrigerator, then shake and use to top off CQ Float.
Mix 2 Slices of English cucumber, 1 ounce of fresh pomegranate juice (or one ounce of the "POM" drink), 1 ounce of organic maple syrup, 1/2 ounce of fresh lime juice, 2 ounces of vodka into a chilled cocktail shaker. Add ice until glass is full and shake for 12 seconds to break up all ingredients, then double strain into a martini glass. Garnish with an organic, edible flower.
Domo Japones cocktails are priced between $14 and $18 at Domo Japones, 4000 NE Second Ave., Design District; 305-573-5474.
- Craft beer of the week: SweetWater Johnny Hash IPA
- Craft Beer of the Week: Adelbert's Naked Nun
- Tobacco Road opens 'The Cocktail Collection' to recreate the space's speakeasy vibe from Prohibition
- Drink like an Irish whiskey master this St. Patrick's Day
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- Open in Wynwood: a craft beer bar called KUSH
- Miami native Blake Lee to appear in ABC's new sitcom ‘Mixology’
- Jim Meehan guest bartends and Julio Bermejo talks tequila at The Broken Shaker during South Beach Wine & Food Festival week in Miami Beach
- A must-try cocktail at the new Cavalli Miami Restaurant & Lounge in South Beach
- Wynwood Brewing Company Takes Over Public House in South Beach for South Florida Craft Beer Week