Clink: Oronco Star
Get star fruit struck with this rum-infused cocktail.
By Jaweed Kaleem
Brosia serves the tropical Oronoco Star.
At Brosia, a Mediterranean restaurant open in the Design District since December, they're serving the Oronoco Star, a light, semi-sweet cocktail straight from the tropics, made with Brazilian rum and fresh star fruit.
"It's a very subtle sweetness, a very clean taste," says bartender Capri Colello. "The added rosemary gives it a nice, soft finish."
D.I.Y.: In a mixing glass, muddle three slices of star fruit and a rosemary sprig (remove leaves from the stem) with 1/2 ounce simple syrup. Pour into a cocktail shaker with 11/4 ounces rum (such as Oronoco), shake and pour into a rocks glass, then top with splashes of ginger ale and sparkling wine. Garnish with a slice of star fruit and a rosemary sprig.
Or try it in the restaurant's large courtyard with mosaic walls, white columns and tall oak trees while checking out the scenery in this arty neighborhood.
The Oronoco Star is $11 at Brosia, 163 NE 39th St.; 305-572-1400.
- Go Drink This: Rum-ble ‘n’ Sway
- Go Drink This: Strawberry Mojito Mocktail
- The Best Cocktails To Sip in Miami On National Rum Day
- Go Drink This: Thelma and Louise
- La Moderna serves up cocktails with personality
- Go Drink This: Honey Citrus Sidecar
- Tampa's Brenda Terry named Most Imaginative Bartender Miami
- Radio Bar hosts monthly series of mixology classes
- Mixologists to compete in Miami for Most Imaginative Bartender title
- Go Drink This: Canchánchara