Young musicians from Colombia join the New World Symphony in music inspired by Romeo and Juliet
Indulge in romance, sensuality, libations, uplifting social interaction and social uplift tonight and tomorrow night (Friday and Saturday) at the New World Symphony. The fabulous New World fellows (that’s the orchestra’s musicians) will be performing Romeos and Juliets, playing selections from three composers’ takes on Romeo and Juliet, Prokofiev and Tchaikovsky’s orchestral versions, and Leonard Bernstein’s Symphonic Dances from West Side Story. That’s the romantic indulgence. They’ll be performing in New World’s wonderful main hall, with its lusciously tangible acoustics (sound as rich as butter, baby), accompanied by multimedia imagery (your sensual indulgence).
Wait, it gets better. NWS’ regular players will be joined by young musicians from Medellin, Colombia, courtesy of an exchange program where New World musicians travel to Medellin to work with 100 of the most talented students among 5,000 children and teenagers, most from poor families, studying music in a program sponsored by the Orquestra Filarmonica de Medellin and EAFIT University (that’s your social uplift). Afterwards, enjoy drinks while mingling with the New World and Colombian musicians – happily lubricated and uplifting social interaction.
Performances start at 7:30pm. Tickets & info at NWS.
See and Do
- Miami Broward One Carnival heads south to a new venue in Miami
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission
- A prelude to Art Basel for locals
- New World Center's Mini-Concerts return with "Yoga Night at the New World Symphony"
- Lucky You! 5 brings art to the people on Nov. 9
- CircX burlesque and cabaret troupe celebrates 10th anniversary