Churchill’s Pub owner accepts offer to sell live music club in Little Haiti
Owner says he should've sold the bar five years ago
Churchill’s Pub has been a bastion for local musicians to rock, squawk and shout for decades. And the Little Haiti mainstay, opened in 1979 by Dave Daniels, might still rock on for years to come. Or maybe not. Daniels, 74, says he has accepted an offer to sell to an undisclosed investor.
“The legal status, at the moment, is that someone made me an offer which I accepted. He has 60 days to do due diligence. If he still wants to buy it, it goes ahead,” Daniels said.
Daniels, a veteran of the British music scene who promoted concerts in the 1960s by name acts like Eric Clapton and Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, brought his knack for promoting live music to the inner city by featuring countless bands on his stages — he estimates some 20,000 since its opening. And Churchill’s went for all styles: Rock. Blues. Punk rock. Noise rock. Bands with names like Holy Terrors and Kreamy ‘Lectric Santa.
But road repairs that hurt lunchtime business and other hassles have Daniels ready to call it quits on the still-popular venue.
If the deal goes through, changes wouldn’t be seen until mid-May. The new owner has indicated live music would be part of the mix, Daniels said, and he would consult for a period of time into the fall.
“Then I’d get out of the country for a few moments,” Daniels said. “I haven’t been to England for five years. I tend to be a prisoner here. I should have sold it five years ago.”
- A different sort of Bonfire of the Vanities at Conde Contemporary, Sassy City Chicks & a Ritzy beer garden
- Go Drink This: Piña Colada Old Fashioned
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Oct. 10-12
- Velvet Underground: A weird Miami bus tour and an AstroJam highlight the weekend
- Go Drink This: Down the Rabbit Hole
- A curated guide to III Points festival in Wynwood
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - Oct. 3 - 5
- Go Drink This: Smoky Negroni
- Sneak Peek: Blackbird Ordinary in Brickell unveils new cocktail menu
- Velvet Underground: Mansion nightclub opens 'Cocktails and Dreams' and Craft Spirits Festival kicks off in Coconut Grove