Christina Aguilera: Burlesque diva
She's living the dream
After years of resisting it, Christina Aguilera is mak ing her feature film debut in the big-screen musical Bur- lesque, starring opposite musical icon and an Oscar- winning actress Cher. "I was just waiting for the right project to feel really passionate about," says Aguilera, who turns 30 next month. "I just didn't want to be that music-to- movies artist who just had to do it to do it."
Aguilera plays Ali Rose, a small-town Iowa girl with a big voice and big dreams. So she heads to Los Angeles, where she happens upon a burlesque lounge and immediately sets out to become one of the girls, who are ruled by the club's glamorous owner, Tess (Cher). There is, of course, rivalry with another dancer, Ricki (Kristen Bell), and love is in the air, with a bartender (Cam Gigandet) and a charismatic entrepre- neur (Eric Dane) vying for her attention.
Aguilera became heavily involved in the $55 million project, from choosing cos- tumes to writing and per- forming songs, including the title number. The part also jibed with the singer's own passion for old Tinseltown. She lists All About Eve with Bette Davis, Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland and "a lot of Marilyn movies'' as among her favorites. In one scene, the girls in the club even dance and lip-synch to the classic Monroe and Jane Russell number Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.
"I love old Hollywood glamour and the screen sirens, the way things were shot back then through those star filters," she says.
On Our Radar
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision