Chow Down Grill
Chow Down at this new late-night dim sum hall in SoBe
Chow Down South Beach
920 Alton Rd, Miami Beach
The goods: Surfside foodie favorite Chow Down Grill opened a South Beach outpost this summer, bringing late-night dumplings and noodles to a new crowd.
Ambience: Housed in a former Laundromat, the new location is nearly quadruple the size of the original, with a separate cocktail lounge and bar. The cavernous, dimly lit dining room is done in minimalist foliage murals and live plants, with cozy booths and wooden picnic tables flanked by rustic benches.
The grub: Executive chef Josh Marcus (BLT Steak, China Grill) focuses on ingredient-driven Asian cuisine in a small-plate format with mix-and-match proteins and sauces. Be sure to ask about the seasonal nightly specials. Prices are neighborhood friendly: starters average $6, salads and noodles $10-$13 and mains $16.
Dumplings, including beef and porcini and basil chicken, are made in-house, as are steamed buns stuffed with duck and a six-pack of sauces on each table. New menu items include oyster spring rolls, pork ribs and barbecued brisket with a side of spicy cauliflower. Noodles include udon soup with homemade dashi broth and wide chow fun noodles tossed with maitake mushrooms. Thai donuts with chocolate, vanilla and orange dipping sauces and a daily bread pudding are among the desserts.
Verdict: A late-night dim sum hall with an ambitious menu of dumplings, fried morsels and noodle dishes.
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach
- Quality Meats gets things sizzling in South Beach
- Toronto import Cibo goes for Italian gold in South Beach
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega