Chow Down Grill
Chow Down at this new late-night dim sum hall in SoBe
Chow Down South Beach
920 Alton Rd, Miami Beach
The goods: Surfside foodie favorite Chow Down Grill opened a South Beach outpost this summer, bringing late-night dumplings and noodles to a new crowd.
Ambience: Housed in a former Laundromat, the new location is nearly quadruple the size of the original, with a separate cocktail lounge and bar. The cavernous, dimly lit dining room is done in minimalist foliage murals and live plants, with cozy booths and wooden picnic tables flanked by rustic benches.
The grub: Executive chef Josh Marcus (BLT Steak, China Grill) focuses on ingredient-driven Asian cuisine in a small-plate format with mix-and-match proteins and sauces. Be sure to ask about the seasonal nightly specials. Prices are neighborhood friendly: starters average $6, salads and noodles $10-$13 and mains $16.
Dumplings, including beef and porcini and basil chicken, are made in-house, as are steamed buns stuffed with duck and a six-pack of sauces on each table. New menu items include oyster spring rolls, pork ribs and barbecued brisket with a side of spicy cauliflower. Noodles include udon soup with homemade dashi broth and wide chow fun noodles tossed with maitake mushrooms. Thai donuts with chocolate, vanilla and orange dipping sauces and a daily bread pudding are among the desserts.
Verdict: A late-night dim sum hall with an ambitious menu of dumplings, fried morsels and noodle dishes.
- Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
- The Prime112 team unveils seafood-centric Prime Fish on South Beach
- Take a "First Look" at 15 Steps: Farm-to-table eats at the Eden Roc
- Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
- Nothing But the Best delivers elegant simplicity in Brickell
- Fashion designer Roberto Cavalli opens his first Miami restaurant on South Beach
- Seasalt and Pepper brings upscale Mediterranean seafood to the Miami River
- The Quattro & Segafredo teams open Via Verdi Cucina Rustica on Biscayne
- Sugarcane chef Timon Balloo and the Sushisamba restaurant group open Bocce Bar in Midtown
- Bourbon Steak Chef Michael Mina gets clubby with Michael Mina 74 at the Fontainebleau