Chophouse Miami Bistro
Chophouse Miami: The downtown power lunch meets globe-trotting mezze
The goods: New owner Chef Jacques Van Staden (Celebrity Cruises) has relaunched downtown steakhouse Chophouse Miami Bistro and Lounge with a new look, new menu, sushi bar and automated wine machines. The menu, overseen by Van Staden’s brother Pieter, includes an extensive list of globetrotting small plates and tapas.
Ambience: The main dining room boasts new hardwood floors and brighter pendant lighting, but maintains the pomp of a power-lunch spot with black leather booths and a private wine room. The outdoor patio hosts a buzzing happy hour at its groovy white and orange-accented bar.
The grub: Eclectic mezze and tweaked steakhouse standards. Small plates average $5-$18 while heftier steak and seafood mains range from $15 to $55. A complimentary breadbasket is available on request. Intriguing starters include the “Laila” eggplant, a Persian-influenced dish blending roasted eggplant, mint, caramelized onions and a mound of tangy labneh cheese; and chicken wings dressed with harissa and a side of tzaztiki. The sushi menu is short and forgettable.
Mains include an eight-ounce filet and a twelve-ounce New York strip served on a chopping block with petite jars of creamed spinach, truffled mashed potatoes and creamed corn. Seafood includes snapper in putanesca sauce and pecan-crusted sea bass with butternut squash puree.
The dessert list offers small, delicate renditions of classics like black forest cake, New York-style cheesecake and a coconut panna cotta.
Verdict: A downtown power-lunch spot gets a makeover with an epic list of globe-trotting mezze.
Chophouse Miami Bistro
300 S Biscayne Blvd, Miami
- Catch some Poke, man: Polynesian flavors at rooftop Watr
- Pasta is handmade to order at this South Beach spot
- Here are four new Miami restaurants to try in August
- Changes to chef, decore at Mimo's Vagabond Kitchen and Bar restaurant
- A look inside new 'hip Peruvian' restaurant in Doral
- This Brickell spot lets you look out over Miami with a cocktail
- Why this sleek Miami Beach restaurant became a pizza and burger joint for the summer
- Why Daniel Boulud's Miami restaurant is going Mediterranean
- A peek at the new Bulla Gastrobar in Doral
- 5 reasons to check out PB Station