‘Tis the season for eating, drinking & chef shake ups
‘Tis the season for eating, drinking & chef movement. Lots of changes in the kitchen this week…
- Area 31 bids adieu to executive chef John Critchley, who is heading north to Washington, DC to be closer to his Boston-based family. E. Michael Reidt (Wish, B&O American Brasserie in Baltimore) will replace Critchley, who’s last day is today.
- Over at the Fontainebleau, chef Ooi Soon Lok (Capella Singapore Hotel) has assumed kitchen control at Hakkasan. The kitchen’s former exec chef has returned to the restaurant’s headquarters. In other FB kitchen news, Thomas Connell has assumed executive chef responsibilities for the entire hotel.
- On the chef gossip front, Eater Miami reports that Jonathan Eismann, whose only remaining restaurant property is the Design District’s Pizza Volante, may be opening another pizza place in the Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove.
- 12 of South Florida’s chefs are begging to be hung on your wall courtesy of the limited edition 2011 South Florida Hottest Chefs Calendar. The calendar, sold for $19.99 at bookstores and restaurants, comes with a $25 dining certificate to each chef’s restaurant, full color pics, chef bios and cooking tips. Participating (fully clothed) chefs include Allen Susser (January), Douglas Rodriguez (December) and Cindy Hutson (April). Ten percent of proceeds will be donated to the Big Heart Brigade, a local nonprofit that delivers meals to needy South Floridians every Thanksgiving.
- Get a free iced coffee at South Florida Dunkin' Donuts on March 9
- Have Brunch in the Garden with Les Dames and top chefs
- Stache hosts bourbon dinner in Fort Lauderdale
- Michael Schwartz to open new Miami Design District café: Ella
- The List: Where Buns & Buns' Alex Zibi eats around Miami
- Tom Colicchio's top chef in Miami has South Florida roots
- The List: BC Tacos' Brett Chiavari
- The List: Valentino's Giovanni Rocchio
- Lime closes in South Beach, BTW opening in its place
- Shikany restaurant in Miami closed until further notice