Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
R House is a chef-driven neighborhood spot that takes art and food seriously
2727 NW 2 Ave, Miami
The who: Chef-owner Rocco Carulli, formerly at Wish, brings new energy to Wynwood with this lounge-gallery-restaurant.
The space: Doubling as The White Porch Gallery, R House is a sprawling warehouse-like space with loads of art on the walls. The 168-seat dining area has high-top tables by the bar, caramel-colored banquettes along the walls, polished concrete floors, exposed duct work and moveable steel-frame panels.
Outdoors: There’s an inviting patio with couches and additional seating. The chef plans to host barbecue brunches in the backyard.
The dishes: Eclectic American with Brazilian, Asian and Italian influences. Mains can be ordered in half-portions, keeping prices moderate. Starters are $9-$12, half-mains average $15 and full mains are $18-$25.
Dinner starts with house-made foccacia served with olive oil. From there, it’s onto small plates of tuna tartar with crisp wontons or duck confit spring rolls with ginger-orange-plum sauce. Mains include short ribs braised with coffee and chili powder and Brazilian moqueqa stew stocked with cobia, shrimp and scallops in a coconut broth.
Desserts include a sophisticated take on tres leches and a Banana Betty blending rum custard, baked bananas and a gingersnap crumble.
The bottom line: R House is a chef-driven neighborhood spot that takes art and food seriously.
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale
- L'echon Brasserie blends French classics with Pubbelly twists in Miami Beach
- La Gazzetta in Miami draws crowds for its pizzas, happy hour, desserts
- New El'eat Restaurant goes for Modern American in North Miami Beach
- New-look Larios on the Beach puts an Estefan spin on Cuban food
- Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
- New BLT Prime gets Trump treatment in Doral
- New AQ restaurant serves Florida-centric fare in Sunny Isles Beach's ritzy Acqualina Resort
- Orange Blossom restaurant in Miami Beach has Old Florida feel with New American cooking