Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
R House is a chef-driven neighborhood spot that takes art and food seriously
2727 NW 2 Ave, Miami
The who: Chef-owner Rocco Carulli, formerly at Wish, brings new energy to Wynwood with this lounge-gallery-restaurant.
The space: Doubling as The White Porch Gallery, R House is a sprawling warehouse-like space with loads of art on the walls. The 168-seat dining area has high-top tables by the bar, caramel-colored banquettes along the walls, polished concrete floors, exposed duct work and moveable steel-frame panels.
Outdoors: There’s an inviting patio with couches and additional seating. The chef plans to host barbecue brunches in the backyard.
The dishes: Eclectic American with Brazilian, Asian and Italian influences. Mains can be ordered in half-portions, keeping prices moderate. Starters are $9-$12, half-mains average $15 and full mains are $18-$25.
Dinner starts with house-made foccacia served with olive oil. From there, it’s onto small plates of tuna tartar with crisp wontons or duck confit spring rolls with ginger-orange-plum sauce. Mains include short ribs braised with coffee and chili powder and Brazilian moqueqa stew stocked with cobia, shrimp and scallops in a coconut broth.
Desserts include a sophisticated take on tres leches and a Banana Betty blending rum custard, baked bananas and a gingersnap crumble.
The bottom line: R House is a chef-driven neighborhood spot that takes art and food seriously.
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Fooq's is dishing out a global bouquet of food in downtown Miami
- Bagatelle brings its rowdy French party to South Beach
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach