Chicago's Takashi Yagihashi opening Slurping Turtle in Miami
"Casual" Chi-town hot spot serving Japanese comfort food en route to Miami
The Slurping Turtle takes its name very seriously and expects sound effects, saying "If you've ever felt obnoxious accidentally slurping your soup at a fancy restaurant, you'll feel right at home at Slurping Turtle, where with all the different noodle and ramen dishes it will almost be wrong if you don't slurp, as the name says."
Not just a noodle restaurant, Slurping Turtle prefers the term Japanese Comfort Food, saying "Slurping Turtle strives to recreate for our guests Chef Takashi's childhood culinary experiences in Japan, the essence of Japanese Comfort Food. The turtle is a symbol of longevity in Japan. We invite you to join us in our quest for the Everlasting Noodle."
On March 8, Chicago Tribune food critic Phil Vettel gave Slurping Turtle 3 stars, saying it " has been a runaway hit since its doors opened in late November." In addition to noodles, the menu includes an impressive menu of items (squid, pork belly, foie gras, gizzard, heart) cooked on a traditional Bincho Grill, as well as sashimi, dumplings and hot tapas.
Stay tuned to Locally Sourced on Mami.com for more information.
On Our Radar
- Miami Dolphins watch party at EPIC pool
- Former Gators quarterback: What I like about Miami
- Nicki Minaj called out by mental health group for Miami Beach incident
- Why Miami will be glad to see 2016 end, in gifs
- A Year in Pitbull
- Kylie and Kendall Jenner seen all over Miami for Art Basel
- Bon Jovi puts on private concert for SiriusXM in Miami Beach
- Sarah Jessica Parker gets her Basel on for the first time
- Cheech Marin is promoting a new ‘substance’ in Miami
- Heidi Klum: She’s an artist, too