Chicago's Takashi Yagihashi opening Slurping Turtle in Miami
"Casual" Chi-town hot spot serving Japanese comfort food en route to Miami
No stranger to New York and Los Angeles imports, Miami's about to get a taste of the Windy City via chef Takashi Yagihashi's Slurping Turtle, which is currently scouting locations in the city, but only, states its real estate rep, on Brickell, South Beach or Miracle Mile. An inside source close to the deal says they are eyeing the space that holds the recently closed Mare Nostrum, but we hear that those folks are already working on their next project, so it may be too late for that space.
The Slurping Turtle takes its name very seriously and expects sound effects, saying "If you've ever felt obnoxious accidentally slurping your soup at a fancy restaurant, you'll feel right at home at Slurping Turtle, where with all the different noodle and ramen dishes it will almost be wrong if you don't slurp, as the name says."
Not just a noodle restaurant, Slurping Turtle prefers the term Japanese Comfort Food, saying "Slurping Turtle strives to recreate for our guests Chef Takashi's childhood culinary experiences in Japan, the essence of Japanese Comfort Food. The turtle is a symbol of longevity in Japan. We invite you to join us in our quest for the Everlasting Noodle."
On March 8, Chicago Tribune food critic Phil Vettel gave Slurping Turtle 3 stars, saying it " has been a runaway hit since its doors opened in late November." In addition to noodles, the menu includes an impressive menu of items (squid, pork belly, foie gras, gizzard, heart) cooked on a traditional Bincho Grill, as well as sashimi, dumplings and hot tapas.
Stay tuned to Locally Sourced on Mami.com for more information.
On Our Radar
- LeBron Voyage: A Fond Miami Farewell to LeBron James, a Legend Off the Court, Too
- Shark Tank investor swims into Miami
- Pampering event with celebrity stylist
- LeBron James to meet with Heat front office
- U.S. soccer players kick it at the Clevelander Hotel
- Warren Sapp tip flap
- Clevelander Hotel hosts homecoming party for U.S. soccer players Jozy Altidore, Damarcus Beasley and Fabian Johnson on Sunday
- Soccer star Alex Morgan gets her kicks in Miami Beach
- David Beckham H&M underwear ads released
- Want to be a movie star? Camp tells you how