Chatting with the Cuban Barbie
Real Housewives of Miami's Alexia Echevarria
As The Real Housewives of Miami enters its second episode Tuesday night (10 p.m. on Bravo), we are starting to get a feel for the six castmates. We recently chatted with mother of two teen sons, magazine editor Alexia Echevarria, on a conference call. The 43-year-old is known as the “Cuban Barbie.’’
What do you think of the other “Housewives’’ franchises?
I really enjoyed watching Beverly Hills. We can learn from all of them. I have similarities with Nene in Atlanta because I can relate to her that she has a son that’s a teenager and the problems she might encounter.
How is your show different?
We go to all the fabulous places and mingle with different people. We’re putting Miami in a positive light.
Was your family supportive?
In the beginning, it was almost divorce time, but my husband [Herman] is now my biggest fan. My kids are super excited. And my work [she is executive editor at Venue], everybody is looking forward to all the opportunities.
How is the Miami cast unique?
The Latin culture and the Latin girls. The way we speak, the way we look, the way we move.
Do you use a lot of Spanglish?
Absolutely. I think in English, but then the word comes out in Spanish. [That’s why] they do the subtitles.
How did you get primped for filming?
I have a hair and makeup person and I love clothes and I love fashion so I had a lot of things to wear. It’s not because I went out of my way to make it that way. That’s just part of who I am and how I am.
On Our Radar
- The 5 most affordable ways to get around South Beach
- Draya Michele debuts Mint Swim collection in Miami, shows off curves at the beach
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud
- You'll Never Guess Where 'The Rock' Calls his Favorite Place to Eat in Miami