Refuel for shopping season with quick, tasty bites in Davie
It’s easy to shop till you drop during the holiday season – so we like the convenience of Davie’s Char-Hut, with indoor and drive-through service and a focus on quality that’s made it a hit since 1976. With four Broward locations, Char-Hut is a good bet for a quick meal as we crisscross the county.
The local chain has steadily increased its menu choices over its 34 years. While it has added veggie burgers, yellowfin tuna and Latin combos, we still like staples of hot dogs, chicken sandwiches and especially the juicy, fresh-ground chuck patties. The char-grilled burger is cooked to order in front of you. The counter folks will add as many of the 18 toppings that you want (cooked mushrooms, raw or cooked onions, peppers and relish are among the choices). Then you pick a roll – regular, wheat or poppy Kaiser, pita or a plain hamburger bun for junior. The cheeseburger comes with a Swiss-American blend.
Other good picks include grilled chicken, palomilla steak and gyro on a pita. We thought the barbecue sauce with the new chicken sandwich was a little too sweet. Pair with sides like house-made onion rings or, for $1 extra on the combo meal, a plump baked sweet potato. We decided a killer shake (at the Davie branch) was what we needed before braving the mall, but if your prefer something stronger, the Sunrise site serves beer.
9000 W. State Road 84, Davie
Hours: In Davie: 11am-10pm Sunday-Thursday, 11am-11pm Friday-Saturday. Check website for other store hours
Prices: Char-grilled items $3.69-$10.24, platter meals $4.79-$11.79, salads $5.79-$9.79, sides $1.64-$3.19
FYI: Also in Sunrise, Pembroke Pines and Tamarac. Check website for discounts like Monday’s Free Cookie Day, game-day specials for Little Leaguers and discounts for military and teachers
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza