A first look at hip Peruvian in a slick SoBe Spot
440 Espanola Way, Miami Beach
The goods: Cevichery Restobar peddles modern Peruvian cuisine in a small but inviting space on Espanola Way.
Ambience: The interior is a mix of old and new – lime-green arched windows overlooking the café-lined street, and rustic brick walls form a backdrop for mod white tables and clear plexiglass chairs.
The grub: As the name indicates, seafood cured in tart lime juice is a specialty of the house – and available six ways, from mild to fiery pepper-spiked mixtures. Young chef Diego Pilares studied at the Le Cordon Bleu in Lima and brings a contemporary approach to the colorful Latin dishes. Prices are moderate: ceviches average $13, mains top out at $18 and sides are $5.
Start off with classic Al Aji Limo ceviche — swai fish with lime, red onions and aji limo chile, or a more adventurous version spiked with hot rocoto pepper. All ceviches are topped with oversized Peruvian “choclo” corn, a starchy relief from the heat.
Other menu options include Tiradito Al Aji de Naranja, a platter of thinly sliced fish bathed in orange juic; Conchas a la Parmesana, broiled scallops served on the shell topped with crisped Parmesan cheese (pictured); and Lomo Saltado con Quinoto, a stir-fry of filet mignon with onions, tomatoes and soy sauce.
Sides include classic tacu tacu rice and bean croquettes and Fideos a la Huancaina, bowtie pasta with a spicy aji amarillo sauce.
The cocktail list features traditional drinks like the Pisco Sour, made here with fresh kiwi juice in addition to lime. And for dessert – a light cheesecake flavored with lucuma, a Peruvian fruit.
The verdict: A hip Peruvian menu in a homey but slick South Beach spot.
- California’s Umami Burger makes its South Beach debut
- Barezzito brings live music & Latin-influenced sushi to South Beach
- A First Look at Jeffrey Chodorow's Biscayne Tavern
- Tudor House chef Jamie DeRosa opens Tongue & Cheek on Miami Beach
- Barock is an ambitious new Ocean Drive spot with a European pedigree
- Poseidon brings a taste of the Greek Isles to South Beach
- Get a First Look at Copperbox, Wynwood’s “secret gastronomic studio”
- Charles St brings upscale pub grub & late-night dining to South Beach's Boulan Hotel
- The 50 Eggs team opens Swine Southern Table and Bar in Coral Gables
- Devon Seafood + Steak brings classics to Kendall