Oceanaire chef goes back to his roots
Executive Chef Kareem Anguin of The Oceanaire Seafood Room in Mary Brickell Village will pay homage to his Jamaican roots by featuring Jamaican inspired delicacies on Saturday, in honor of Jamaica’s Independence Day. In addition to Oceanaire’s regular dinner menu, specialty items include appetizers such as grilled pineapple and mixed green salad with sour orange vinaigrette, pecans and goat cheese; red stripe steamed P.E.I mussels with scotch bonnet, thyme and Nueske bacon; Island cracked conch fritters with avocado, island slaw and spicy Yuzu Aioli. Entrees include grilled jerked Panamanian black grouper with mango-fig chutney, citrus sweet potatoes and pineapple glaze; pan seared New Bedford sea scallops “Land & Sea” with braised short ribs and pumpkin risotto; and whole fried Key West yellowtail snapper “Escovitch” with scotch bonnet tomato sauce, onions, carrots, rice and peas. At just thirty years old and hailing from St. Elizabeth Jamaica, Chef Kareem is the second youngest Executive Chef/Operating Partner in the Oceanaire chain. Kareem brings his Caribbean influences to all of his Oceanaire culinary creations including his braised oxtail, short ribs with wasabi mash, lobster risotto, citrus sweet potato, shrimp and grits, and tempura Alaskan-King crab. Humble and un-assuming, Anguin loves to work with teens teaching them how food preparation can be used to inspire creativity and passion. Most days, he can be found at The Oceanaire doing what he likes to do best, cook, for hungry patrons. In his down time he hangs out with his two kids, playing video games in their Design District home. Food is a big part of my Jamaican culture,’’ he says. “There I was introduced to so many different preparation techniques and assortments of fruits and spices.’’ As for his personal favorite? Nope, not seafood: Curry goat over white rice.
On Our Radar
- Luis Miguel takes a bath in real estate deal
- Michael Buble's Instagram post criticized
- Estefans’ star search is over for ‘On Your Feet’
- Artist Romero Britto sues Apple
- Dave Chappelle parties, Bow Wow holds court
- Mario Lopez serves as grand marshal at Miami Beach Gay Pride parade
- Here's your chance to audition for 'La Banda"
- Scott Eastwood talks 'The Longest Ride' from ranch in Davie
- Shaggy talks new single, Brian Williams and state of reggae
- Justin Bieber joins Ariana Grande on stage