Celeb photog's seen it all
You name em', he's shot em
Greg Gorman isn't star struck. He couldn't be, after more than 40 years photographing celebrities for publicity stills, magazine features and movie posters. You name an A-lister, he's done 'em. In 1968, Gorman borrowed a friend's camera to photograph a Jimi Hendrix concert in his hometown of Kansas City and was hooked.
He started making bold-faced contacts in the 1970s while doing head shots for actors. "I got to spend the day doing something I really enjoyed and still putting a few dollars in my pocket." See a retrospective of his favorite shoots starting Wednes- day through March 18 at the Design Center of the Americas in Dania Beach.
Gorman discussed some of his subjects.
Robert De Niro: "He was great to photograph, a really nice guy, but I think Bob is more comfortable having a low profile. He's not a schmoozer."
Leonardo DiCaprio: "He's so relaxed in front of a camera, just a really focused person by nature. And he has a great sense of humor. People who are humor-impaired aren't very interesting."
Keanu Reeves: "I asked, ‘What do you want to do?' He said, ‘I'd really like to ride my motorcycle.' So we drove like an hour up to the Hollywood Hills . . . he starts changing his clothes [with no underwear] and kept saying, ‘Shoot it, shoot it!' It was kind of wild, but really fun, spontaneous and loose."
Meryl Streep: "A class act. There's a cool picture of her in the exhibit. Her with her eyes closed, with her hands underneath her chin. It's a big head shot. I like to get very in close, to get in their psy- che." Johnny Depp: "He's dynamite, with a wicked sense of humor. We both share an extreme passion for wine."
For exhibit info and how to purchase tickets for the VIP preview gala 7 p.m. Tuesday e-mail marketEW email@example.com
On Our Radar
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud
- You'll Never Guess Where 'The Rock' Calls his Favorite Place to Eat in Miami
- How to keep getting Miami.com on Facebook
- Pokemon Go Invades Miami and here’s our cheat sheet