Cazwell still strumming along
Ice Cream Truck rapper performs
Cazwell performs Sunday night at Lux (formerly Liquid), 1439 Washington Ave. Doors open at 10 p.m.
Ice Cream Truck rapper Cazwell is a sucker for a fun song. "Everything I write and produce I test out when I DJ. For the most part, I make music people can have a good time to,'' says Cazwell, who performs late Sunday at Lux in South Beach.
Cazwell … who's never before visited Miami … came out at age 18 and started in the music business playing dance clubs in Boston. "only played to straight people. Gay clubs weren't interested at all. They only wanted drag queens.'' He îîcame to a conclusion that no matter how good I am, no matter how good my songwriting is or my videos, straight people don't want to hang out with gay people in the hip-hop industry.''
Now living in New York, Cazwell wrote Ice Cream Truck for a friend's upcoming film, Spork. "I wanted a really fun, immature beat, like the sounds from an ice cream truck,'' Cazwell says. We wrote it in a Chinese-food hangover. The Ice Cream Truck video has more than 2.3 million YouTube views. It features lots of male rear ends in underpants.
Cazwell, 32, says some people complain the video "objectified the guys the way straight videos objectify the girls.'' His response: "I didn't objectify anyone who didn't want to be objectified.'' …
On Our Radar
- Talking to Ana Maria in Novela Land star
- Chazz Palminteri tells his 'Bronx Tale'
- Athletes seen partying in Miami
- Is Miami Heat star Chris Bosh OK?
- Latin stars come together for Premios Lo Nuestro
- William Levy front and center at rum event
- Diana Nyad to re-create famous swim on stage
- Report: Rapper Vanilla Ice arrested
- Emeril Lagasse talks food, milestones and Florida
- Wyclef Jean, Barry Gibb among performers at Miami Beach centennial concert