Discover a charming newcomer in Little Havana
1644 SW 8 St, Miami
The goods: Catharsis, a charming newcomer in Little Havana, does it best to approximate the romantic, subterranean vibe of a Tuscan wine cave. Hospitality vets Leo Hidalgo, Hernan Sturvet, Marcelo Malvicino, and Dr. Vivian Gonzalez-Diaz teamed up to create the cozy Calle Ocho spot. There’s a small stage at the back of the dining room where Latin Grammy winners Carlos Manuel and Carmen Lydia perform Fridays at 10pm.
Ambience: Housed in a former Latin rock club, the polished supper club is decked out in arched beige ceilings, cream-colored banquettes and flickering candles. It works as an offbeat date spot or an intimate spot to bring friends.
The grub: Latin cooking with a strong Caribbean influence. Prices are reasonable and portions are generous. Most starters average $10 and entrees top out at $24. House-made bread hits the table at the start of the meal. After that, it’s on to appetizers like corvina and shrimp ceviche flecked with habanero peppers, grilled Provoleta cheese (grilled cheese topped with diced tomatoes) and a plate of lightly fried tostones served with a Floribbean mango salsa.
Mains include a grilled corvina served over mashed carrots and scallion emulsion; a pesto, pear, and gorgonzola ravioli; and a hearty three-hour short rib soaked in red wine. Desserts include a guava mousse, mango sorbet and bouncy dulce de leche crepes.
Verdict: A lively Latin-fusion retreat on an urban stretch of Call Ocho.
- Eating House branches out with Taperia Raca in Miami's MiMo neighborhood
- Michelin-starred chef Danny Grant helms 1826, South Beach’s latest slick eatery
- Michelin-starred chef Michael Fulci helms La Maison, a new posh spot in SoFi
- Executive chef Mark Rivera (Tatu) helms Bao, Fort Lauderdale’s latest Asian eatery
- Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
- The Prime112 team unveils seafood-centric Prime Fish on South Beach
- Take a "First Look" at 15 Steps: Farm-to-table eats at the Eden Roc
- Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
- Nothing But the Best delivers elegant simplicity in Brickell
- Fashion designer Roberto Cavalli opens his first Miami restaurant on South Beach