Catching up with the rumor mill: Dean & Deluca, Mark Militello, NAOE & more
Miami's foodcentric rumor mill is a churning
Despite a spate of faux Twitter accounts and parodies that have all pretty much gone away, it's been rather quiet in Miami's culinary community with the exception of a few bits of hearsay, some more absurd than others. Among them: that Miami's original mango gangster Mark Militello was eyeing a chef's gig at The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions. We asked The Fed's Aniece Meinhold, who replied, "Not to my knowlege. Who on earth told you that?" If we told her, we'd have to subject her to a dinner at the Olive Garden, but it nonetheless intrigued her--and us.
Another tidbit we've heard is that the now vacant Cooper Avenue space is, says a source, "such a financial disaster" that the City of Miami Beach is trying to lure a "Dean & DeLuca-type place" there. We actually contacted D&D, whose Director of Marketing, Malissa Nelson, told us, "Dean & DeLuca continuously evaluates potential expansion opportunities. Those markets have and continue to include the South Florida region."
And then there are murmurs of something big coming from (or for, rather) Kevin Cory of NAOE sanctity. No, not a hipster Wynwood location or anything like that, but a huge honor of sorts. But that's all we can say. If Cory told us, he'd have to subject us to dinner at the Olive Garden, too, which is fine because there's unlimited salad and breadsticks.
Finally, not a rumor but truth: Haulover Beach is trying to lure its own eatery and, according to official documents, "is seeking qualified developers to develop a one-acre beachfront site situated along the Atlantic Ocean into a 'turn-key' recreational Fishing Pier and casual Beachfront Restaurant."
- 5 last-minute Mother's Day brunches in Miami
- A night of dishing on Miami's culinary scene at Wynwood Yard
- Extra Ordinary: Vandy Vanderwarker of Charleston's The Ordinary shucking up at Mignonette in May
- Blue Collar restaurant hosting 2016 Matzo Chase - a scavenger hunt in Miami
- Richard Hales opening Bird & Bone Hot Chicken & Ribs at The Wynwood Yard
- Now Closed: The Oceanaire Seafood Room. Coming Soon to Mary Brickell Village: "Another Landry's concept"
- Norwegian DJ Kygo's just desserts at Komodo
- Top Chef Paul Qui of Faena Hotel's heralded Pao arrested for alleged drug-fueled assault on girlfriend
- Bachour Bakery + Bistro opening March 25 on Brickell
- High end Kaori by Walter Martino opening in Brickell area February 23