Catching up with the rumor mill: Dean & Deluca, Mark Militello, NAOE & more
Miami's foodcentric rumor mill is a churning
Despite a spate of faux Twitter accounts and parodies that have all pretty much gone away, it's been rather quiet in Miami's culinary community with the exception of a few bits of hearsay, some more absurd than others. Among them: that Miami's original mango gangster Mark Militello was eyeing a chef's gig at The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions. We asked The Fed's Aniece Meinhold, who replied, "Not to my knowlege. Who on earth told you that?" If we told her, we'd have to subject her to a dinner at the Olive Garden, but it nonetheless intrigued her--and us.
Another tidbit we've heard is that the now vacant Cooper Avenue space is, says a source, "such a financial disaster" that the City of Miami Beach is trying to lure a "Dean & DeLuca-type place" there. We actually contacted D&D, whose Director of Marketing, Malissa Nelson, told us, "Dean & DeLuca continuously evaluates potential expansion opportunities. Those markets have and continue to include the South Florida region."
And then there are murmurs of something big coming from (or for, rather) Kevin Cory of NAOE sanctity. No, not a hipster Wynwood location or anything like that, but a huge honor of sorts. But that's all we can say. If Cory told us, he'd have to subject us to dinner at the Olive Garden, too, which is fine because there's unlimited salad and breadsticks.
Finally, not a rumor but truth: Haulover Beach is trying to lure its own eatery and, according to official documents, "is seeking qualified developers to develop a one-acre beachfront site situated along the Atlantic Ocean into a 'turn-key' recreational Fishing Pier and casual Beachfront Restaurant."
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"
- Food Network UK star Andy Bates brings "refined British pub food" to A&E District with 3-day pop up
- Blair Wilson, Mike Isabella, Jennifer Carroll, George Pagnois headline Surfcomber food fest
- The Bridge Cocktail Bar's December takeover of The Local Craft Food & Drink
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach