Calle Ocho 2009
It's time to lace up those sneakers, slather on some sunscreen and head to Miami's massive street festival.
By Aurora Rodriguez
It's time to lace up those sneakers, slather on some sunscreen and head to Miami's massive street festival, Calle Ocho, on Sunday, March 15
Festivalgoers can expect the usual day of carefree dancing, music and partying and family activities, but the event hasn't escaped the impact of the economy and for the first time will be scaled back, from 23 to 16 blocks.
“We had to cut it because we are losing sponsors,'' said Sylvia C. Vieta, director of promotions and community relations for Kiwanis Club of Little Havana, which founded and runs the event, the culmination of Carnaval Miami. “But it will still be the same huge number of people.”
And for the first time, the Kiwanis Club is also asking festival attendees for $1 donations to help pay for college scholarships and support local schools with educational and sports programs. “These are year-round projects and in these difficult times, there is even more
demand,” said Vieta.
The Kiwanis Club of Little Havana started Calle Ocho in 1978 to share Cuban culture with locals and it has become a mega showcase for Miami's diverse Latin American flavor, offering stages featuring entertainment, lots of food, street musicians, plenty of freebies and a KidzZone with clowns, magicians, face painting and games.
If You Go
What: Calle Ocho Festival
Where: Southwest Eighth Street between Fourth and 27th avenues, Miami
When: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday March 15th.
Cost: Free (except for food, beverage vendors)
Parking: Expect to pay about $5 to $10 per car (but no guarantees) to park at neighborhood residences. Or take the Metrorail to the Brickell Station, then take the Calle Ocho shuttle to the fair. Check miami-dade.gov/transit for up-to-date information.
Information: Kiwanis Club of Little Havana, 305-644-8888 or carnavalmiami.com
See and Do
- Five ways to experience Hard Rock Stadium like the 1 Percent
- 20 signs that you might be Cuban
- Public transportation in Miami is making moves
- 20 great parks, 20 great outings
- Cauley Square is a hidden gem in Miami
- Instagram photos that prove that Biscayne National Park is a dazzling gem
- Check out these 5 events during Downtown Art Days
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Aug 26-28
- 'Star Wars' marathon at the Olympia Theater
- 'Psychic Match' star Deborah Graham talks about finding real love at Books & Books