Butcher Shop brings a beer garden to Wynwood
Gourmet butcher branches out with Wynwood beer garden
Butcher Shop Beer Garden & Grill
165 NW 23 St, Miami
Hours: 11am-midnight Wednesday-Friday, 6pm-2am Saturday, 11am-3:30pm Monday-Tuesday
Prices: Appetizers $6-$24, salads $10-$12, burgers/sausages $7-$12, steaks $14-$38, sides $5-$6
Walk past the garden with planters of flowers, past the outdoor bar and through an industrial dining space with communal tables to reach the counter at Butcher Shop Beer Garden & Grill. Pick what you want from the glass case, and place an order. For lunch there are sandwiches, salads and sausages. The dinner menu includes steaks, short ribs, pork chops and fish.
Ukrainian-born owner Igor Niznik left Russia 40 years ago, immigrating to Brooklyn. He learned how to cut meat from an Italian butcher, and took up the trade. Ten years ago he bought a gourmet butcher store in Palm Beach Gardens that provides all the meat and sausages here.
Niznik’s son Fred runs the place in a gutted warehouse converted into a retail space. Father and son helped chef Dustin Ward forge the menu with the idea of bringing folks together over good food and brews.
Get a jump on Oktoberfest with a chicken schnitzel sandwich on toasted rye with honey mustard or pan-seared potato and cheese pierogi in sour cream sauce, paired with a draught Hoegaarden wheat beer spiced with coriander and orange peel.
There’s also turkey sausage, spicy Italian chicken links, bratwurst, knockwurst (like a thick, garlic-laced hot dog), horseshoe-shaped smoked kielbasa and delicate veal weisswurst served on a pretzel bun with sauerkraut, good with potato salad speckled with mustard seeds.
Burgers range from sirloin and organic turkey to bison with bleu cheese and lamb with feta and mint jelly mayo. A Belgian waffle topped with bacon ice cream and candied bacon ends your meal with an oink.
- Sapore di Mare serves a slice of Italy in Coconut Grove
- Way more than spuds at Mash Potatoes restaurant in Coral Gables
- Moroccan and French flavors find a home at Rouge Café in Miami Beach
- Weezie's in Oakland Park bakes with love, not wheat
- Stop to smell this South Beach rose in the Stiles Hotel
- The Bahamian Pot stirs island flavors in Liberty City
- Mimmo's Mozzarella is whey too good to ignore in North Miami
- Zaika in North Miami covers all kinds of Indian cooking
- Burrito San rolls oversize sushi in downtown Miami
- Eat the best of the wurst at Bavaria Haus in Bayside Marketplace