Butcher Shop brings a beer garden to Wynwood
Gourmet butcher branches out with Wynwood beer garden
Walk past the garden with planters of flowers, past the outdoor bar and through an industrial dining space with communal tables to reach the counter at Butcher Shop Beer Garden & Grill. Pick what you want from the glass case, and place an order. For lunch there are sandwiches, salads and sausages. The dinner menu includes steaks, short ribs, pork chops and fish.
Ukrainian-born owner Igor Niznik left Russia 40 years ago, immigrating to Brooklyn. He learned how to cut meat from an Italian butcher, and took up the trade. Ten years ago he bought a gourmet butcher store in Palm Beach Gardens that provides all the meat and sausages here.
Niznik’s son Fred runs the place in a gutted warehouse converted into a retail space. Father and son helped chef Dustin Ward forge the menu with the idea of bringing folks together over good food and brews.
Get a jump on Oktoberfest with a chicken schnitzel sandwich on toasted rye with honey mustard or pan-seared potato and cheese pierogi in sour cream sauce, paired with a draught Hoegaarden wheat beer spiced with coriander and orange peel.
There’s also turkey sausage, spicy Italian chicken links, bratwurst, knockwurst (like a thick, garlic-laced hot dog), horseshoe-shaped smoked kielbasa and delicate veal weisswurst served on a pretzel bun with sauerkraut, good with potato salad speckled with mustard seeds.
Burgers range from sirloin and organic turkey to bison with bleu cheese and lamb with feta and mint jelly mayo. A Belgian waffle topped with bacon ice cream and candied bacon ends your meal with an oink.
Butcher Shop Beer Garden & Grill
165 NW 23 St, Miami
Hours: 11am-midnight Wednesday-Friday, 6pm-2am Saturday, 11am-3:30pm Monday-Tuesday
Prices: Appetizers $6-$24, salads $10-$12, burgers/sausages $7-$12, steaks $14-$38, sides $5-$6
- Midtown Oyster Bar brings more than oysters
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura
- 41st Street Deli makes gourmet kosher sandwiches in Miami Beach
- Fornaro cooks Italian food by way of Brazil in Coconut Grove
- Stone crabs with a side of sunset at Monty's in South Beach
- Moreno’s Café captures the spirit of Cuba in Miami Beach
- Ni.Do Caffe in Miami Shores celebrates eating the Italian way
- The hottest Thai food in Miami is on Calle Ocho
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale