Burger & Beer Joint
Burger, beer, rock n roll & more sets up (another) shop in South Beach.
Burger & Beer Joint
1766 Bay Rd, Miami Beach
Hours: Restaurant noon-1am daily, until 2am weekends; bar until 5am nightly
Prices: Snacks and soups $6-$10, burgers $9-$48, sides $6, kids' meals $8, desserts $3-$7
Reservations strongly suggested. Full bar with more than 80 beers. Self parking in small lot or at meters; $8 valet. AX, MC, VS.
With champagne budgets rare these days, it seems perfect timing for South Beach’s new The Burger & Beer Joint? Owners Buzzy Sklar (Automatic Slim’s, Ego Trip) and Ron Garcia (Sushi Samba, Wolfgang Puck’s, Acqua at Bellagio) have created an overnight sensation that is drawing crowds like a Guns N Roses reunion concert. The fun menu that's drawing raves, and with good reason. “We don’t just consider ourselves a burger place; we consider ourselves a gourmet burger place,” says Sklar.
Ambiance: The Burger & Beer Joint has the feel of an old neighborhood pub, with chalky red salvaged-brick walls, high-backed wooden booths and copper ceilings. The look is so authentic you'd swear you were in Boston or New York, not a South Beach condo-hood.
- A bucket of outrageously tasty and tender tempura-ed “octane wings” (braised organic chicken doused with homemade hot sauce)
- “Basket o' bacon” featuring thick-sliced, hickory-smoked Duroc pork belly and maple syrup for dipping
- Addictive fried rounds of pickles with blue cheese sauce
- Pencil-thin fries
- Carb-phobic “Buck Naked” burger, prime Angus beef wrapped in lettuce with tomato, grilled red onion and pickle
- “Stairway to Heaven” burger, American Kobe-style (Wagyu) beef, Hudson Valley foie gras and black truffle demi-glace on a brioche bun
- Vegetarian “Dear Prudence” with a portobello mushroom loaded with arugula, charred red peppers and walnut pesto
- “Fly Like an Eagle” sandwich featuring moist homemade stuffing, brown gravy and cranberry sauces stuffed between two turkey patties
- “Turning Japanese” burger, a ruby red, nearly raw slab of yellowfin tuna covered in garlicky mayo with cucumber and jalapeno salsa and pickled ginger on a fine onion bun
- Outrageously good onion rings on the side
- A rocking root beer float with sweet, foamy bubbles we craved
What Didn’t Work
- A more gimmicky than gourmet 10-pound Mother Burger billed as “a ginormous beast the size of a manhole cover and sandwiched in a bun the size of a couch cushion!”
- A banana split with more air and ice than preferred
- 2.5 stars for Il Mulino's "Italian-American razzle dazzle: in Sunny Isles
- 2.5 stars for Big Fish on Miami's Upper East Side
- 1.5 stars for Batch Gastropub: "A better bar than restaurant"
- 2.5 stars for North Miami's Sea Grill
- 3 stars for "big flavors, big personality" at Midtown's Black Brick Chinese
- 2 stars for Tony Mantuano's Lorenzo on South Beach
- 3 stars for fresh fish & sharp service at South Beach's Lure Fishbar
- 3.5 stars for the "sublime" Michael Mina 74 at Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- 2.5 stars for Fez, exotic Moroccan on Española Way
- 3 stars for Strada, sexy new Italian in the Grove