Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
Six types of bread pair with globally-inspired plates at Buns & Buns
Buns & Buns
5748 Sunset Dr, South Miami
The who: Chef Reuven Sugarman (Toro Toro) goes carb-heavy with Buns & Buns, a funky South Miami spot near Sunset Place.
The concept: A counter-service bread-based pairing menu. One you’re seated, food runners deliver your food and take add-on orders.
The space: A bohemian, loft-like space furnished with international flea market finds like vintage cameras, books and bric-a-brac.
The bread: Seven types, all made in-house, including brioche, pretzel bun, cheese naan, steamed Asian bun and ciabatta. All dishes from the salad and grill sections of the menu are served with a choice of a bun, bread or butter lettuce wrap.
The dishes: Globally-inspired cuisine and craft beers at wallet-friendly prices. Small bites start at $5 and larger plates run $10-$20.
Starters include pan de queso, quinoa fritters and roasted heirloom tomato salad with burrata, avocado and watermelon. Grills include tamarind-glazed lamb ribs with pickled cabbage, beer-battered snapper with fontina and sweet potato chips and chicken thighs with black bean sauce.
Dessert brings deep-fried hot chocolate buns with raspberry pomegranate, dark chocolate and vanilla cream sauces and “lost bun” bread pudding with streusel, “drunken” sauce and caramelized pecans.
The bottom line: Bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings at a trendy South Miami spot.
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega
- Bistro Bal Harbour weaves Latin influences into modern American cooking
- 27 Restaurant serving eclectic home cooking, stylish cocktails in Miami Beach
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach