Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
Six types of bread pair with globally-inspired plates at Buns & Buns
Buns & Buns
5748 Sunset Dr, South Miami
The who: Chef Reuven Sugarman (Toro Toro) goes carb-heavy with Buns & Buns, a funky South Miami spot near Sunset Place.
The concept: A counter-service bread-based pairing menu. One you’re seated, food runners deliver your food and take add-on orders.
The space: A bohemian, loft-like space furnished with international flea market finds like vintage cameras, books and bric-a-brac.
The bread: Seven types, all made in-house, including brioche, pretzel bun, cheese naan, steamed Asian bun and ciabatta. All dishes from the salad and grill sections of the menu are served with a choice of a bun, bread or butter lettuce wrap.
The dishes: Globally-inspired cuisine and craft beers at wallet-friendly prices. Small bites start at $5 and larger plates run $10-$20.
Starters include pan de queso, quinoa fritters and roasted heirloom tomato salad with burrata, avocado and watermelon. Grills include tamarind-glazed lamb ribs with pickled cabbage, beer-battered snapper with fontina and sweet potato chips and chicken thighs with black bean sauce.
Dessert brings deep-fried hot chocolate buns with raspberry pomegranate, dark chocolate and vanilla cream sauces and “lost bun” bread pudding with streusel, “drunken” sauce and caramelized pecans.
The bottom line: Bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings at a trendy South Miami spot.
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style
- Finka fuses Cuban, Korean and Peruvian food in west Miami
- Vintro Kitchen emphasizes seafood in Miami Beach boutique hotel
- Temple Kitchen, a shrine to plant-based foods, opens in South Miami
- Old-school Italian meets South Beach chic at new Il Mulino
- Oyster bar classics and more at new Mignonette
- Holy guacamole: Cantina La Veinte pushes upmarket Mexican food in Miami
- Go hungry, like a wolf, to new Loba in Miami