Buns & Buns bringing the bread--meat, vegetables & seafood--to South Miami in 2014
Carb-centric "globally dynamic" restaurant opening soon
Although it sounds like a gym, Buns & Buns may be the reason you'll need a gym after it opens in South Miami sometime in January. Despite its dubious name, the restaurant's menu has been "inspired by the culinary discoveries" found on the owners' trip around the world. "The upscale yet casual concept will offer a globally-dynamic menu with a focus on freshly baked breads, an exotic blend of handcrafted sauces and spices, and a hearty selection of meat, vegetable, and seafood dishes," reads a press release. But more about the bread. Diners will "be able to customize their dining experience by mixing and matching breads and buns with different dishes, sharing in the adventurous spirit of the restaurant." Because othing says adventurous like scarfing down a hot dog bun with your seabass.
Anyway, on the menu: freshly baked buns such as brioche basted and baked with a warm butter glaze; garlic naan stuffed with fontina and aged white cheddar cheeses; ann herb bread infused with a blend of rosemary, thyme and garlic. Grills will include a pan roasted chili shrimp ($15) sautéed with caramelized shallots, garlic, and dried red chili flakes finished with cilantro, fresh lime juice and served with citrus aioli; deckle ($20) marinated in sweet soy, Sriracha sauce, toasted coriander seeds and cilantro, plated with egg yolk, a crispy Serrano ham chip and harissa; and steamed mussels ($10) served in a ceramic bowl with house-made curry broth.
Lighter fare will include a variety salads made with local and seasonal ingredients such as the Burrata Salad ($10) with mozzarella and chargrilled tomatoes, topped with olive oil crisp croutons, and drizzled with barrel-aged Bourbon sherry vinegar; and the Filo Salad ($10), a mix of watercress, greens and pomegranate seeds, topped with crispy filo strips marinated in chili oil and tossed in a zesty orange citrus dressing. Munchies include snacks such as salmon skin chicharrones ($5).
5748 Sunset Dr.
- How to get gourmet clean eating in South Beach
- RIP Randazzo's Little Italy in Coral Gables
- Who has Miami's favorite acai bowls? Yelp! weighs in
- Tap 42 opening second Miami location in ex-Aperio space in Midtown
- Nibble + Squeak dining club for "parents with pipsqueaks" launches in Miami August 24 at Mignonette
- The Rumor Mill: Murmurs of more Miami restaurant, market closings and chef firings . . .
- 305 Brews beer and coffee bar opening in August in Midtown Miami
- Alex Chang leaves The Vagabond, which will re-debut with new chef, new name
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab