Bryan Adams to perform at Olympia Theater
Also a photographer
South Florida lends itself to people stripping down. Celebs, residents and tourists do it all the time. Canadian rocker Bryan Adams is no exception. But Adams, a perennial MTV favorite in the 1980s for a string of hits from his 1984 Reckless album and an American Idol staple for his ’90s ballads like Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman? limits his public stripping to his musical endeavors. On Friday, Adams brings his acoustic Bare Bones Tour to Miami’s historic Olympia Theater at the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts.
“It’s me and my guitar, and a pianist joins me for half the show,” Adams, 53, said in a phone interview from London, where the Kingston, Ontario-born rocker has a home. “This allows a diversion from what I usually do. The idea is to focus on the music and lyrics, and it’s interesting to see how well they stand up. It took me a long time to have the confidence to do something without the band. Most artists start their careers in smaller venues, with smaller acoustic bands, busking,” he continued. “I went the other way and started with the band. I wanted to be loud and proud.” Fans of crunchy rock staples like Run to You, Cuts Like a Knife and Summer of ’69 might also not have expected Adams’ other recent project, a coffee-table photo book, Exposed (Steidl, $80), which features a retrospective of his photographic portraits of entertainment, fashion and art industry figures.
Among the images Adams captured: a shot of a bikini-clad Amy Winehouse that wound up as the cover of her 2011 posthumous album, Lioness: Hidden Treasures. Photography, Adams said, “is like everything I’ve gotten myself involved in. I don’t do things in half. I just like to be able to go back to my music and have a fresh head. Sometimes they say a change is as good as a rest.”
On Our Radar
- Florida girl Megan Fox: Miami has changed so much
- South Florida's Johnny Depp in divorce drama
- Win a ride on the Flying Cucumber blimp on June 2
- 5 Colombian locations in Miami that Seleccion Colombia should visit
- Did your name make the list of names for the 2016 Hurricane Season?
- Blac Chyna slams body shamers
- Tracy Morgan: I feel good
- How to Do Miami Like These 9 Celebs
- Brett Ratner back home in Miami Beach
- Dance pop singer Erika Jayne performing in Wynwood