Brunch in Miami is getting better all the time
Miami's brunch scene evolves from chafing dishes to culinary delights.
Before he became a globetrotting food personality, Anthony Bourdain was a brunch-hater.
Brunch is an excuse for B-team cooks to cut corners and to lazily ladle stale hollandaise sauce while nursing a raging hangover, Bourdain told us in his cutting memoir, Kitchen Confidential.
“Cooks hate brunch,” he wrote. “Brunch is punishment.”
Perhaps that was true in the late 1990s, when Bourdain was penning his breakout book and the Sunday-morning mashup of breakfast and lunch in Miami rarely meant more than uninspired eggs and limp bacon languishing in chafing dishes.
Not so much anymore.
Miami has seriously stepped up its brunch game in recent years, with restaurants putting new, inventive twists on the old meal almost every week.
Bottomless bloody marys? That’s a thing. Kimchee benedict? Yep. “Italian-style” dim sum? We have it. Coconut-sesame pancakes and sweet-savory duck waffles? Sure.
5 MIAMI BRUNCHES TO TRY
BlackBrick: 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 3451 NE First Ave., Miami; 305-573-8886; midtownchinese.com
Blue Collar: 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 6730 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-756-0366; bluecollarmiami.com
Josh’s Deli: 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 9517 Harding Ave., Surfside; 305-397-8494 joshsdeli.com
Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink: 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday; 130 NE 40th St., Miami; 305-573-5550; michaelsgenuine.com
Zuma: Noon-2 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday; 270 Biscayne Blvd. Way, Miami; 305-577-0277; zumarestaurant.com
- Bahama Breeze and Uber team up for Rumbash this Friday
- Eat among the art at South Beach's Canvas
- Taste Chinese, Mexican and Japanese in one bite — for one night only
- A vegetarian gastropub? It's coming to (where else?) South Beach
- Where you can taste a prize-winning doughnut in Miami
- These are Miami's most popular brunch spots, says Yelp
- Pollo Tropical wants you to cheat — on your chicken
- International sushi chain opens first U.S. spot — on South Beach
- Miami Herald Top 10: Alloy among 2016's best-reviewed restaurants
- Here are four new Miami, Beach restaurants to try this month