Brunch in Miami is getting better all the time
Miami's brunch scene evolves from chafing dishes to culinary delights.
Before he became a globetrotting food personality, Anthony Bourdain was a brunch-hater.
Brunch is an excuse for B-team cooks to cut corners and to lazily ladle stale hollandaise sauce while nursing a raging hangover, Bourdain told us in his cutting memoir, Kitchen Confidential.
“Cooks hate brunch,” he wrote. “Brunch is punishment.”
Perhaps that was true in the late 1990s, when Bourdain was penning his breakout book and the Sunday-morning mashup of breakfast and lunch in Miami rarely meant more than uninspired eggs and limp bacon languishing in chafing dishes.
Not so much anymore.
Miami has seriously stepped up its brunch game in recent years, with restaurants putting new, inventive twists on the old meal almost every week.
Bottomless bloody marys? That’s a thing. Kimchee benedict? Yep. “Italian-style” dim sum? We have it. Coconut-sesame pancakes and sweet-savory duck waffles? Sure.
5 MIAMI BRUNCHES TO TRY
BlackBrick: 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 3451 NE First Ave., Miami; 305-573-8886; midtownchinese.com
Blue Collar: 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 6730 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-756-0366; bluecollarmiami.com
Josh’s Deli: 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 9517 Harding Ave., Surfside; 305-397-8494 joshsdeli.com
Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink: 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday; 130 NE 40th St., Miami; 305-573-5550; michaelsgenuine.com
Zuma: Noon-2 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday; 270 Biscayne Blvd. Way, Miami; 305-577-0277; zumarestaurant.com
- Unlimited tacos and beer for $18.21 debuts at Toro Toro
- 3 stars for Prime Fish's South Beach swagger
- River Seafood & Oyster Bar to move down the Miami River
- Miami Spice 2014 Guide - From A to Z
- Pubbelly Boys to close PB Steak in Miami Beach
- St. Louis-based Pi Pizzeria opening this year in South Beach
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- What's the Best? 5 Great Carpaccios
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- New-look AltaMare toasts summer with a new happy hour