Broward Says Olé
Where does Broward to Mexican? Our Broward dining critic scopes out the scene...
Where does Broward to Mexican? Broward dining critic Elaine Walker scopes out the scene...
- Emilio Dominguez, owner of Casa Maya Grill, combines the indigenous influences of his homeland and the recipes of his grandmother at his stylish and cozy Deerfield Beach restaurant. Out-of-the-ordinary flavorings like sour orange and achiote are as bright as the orange walls and Mayan art. Meals start with warm chips served with fresh, flavorful salsa and a sweet, creamy corn relish that packs a punch. Highlights on the wide-ranging, value-priced menu include panuchos, a crisp, open-faced tortilla topped with black bean spread, pibil chicken or pork, pickled onions and avocado; codzitos, crispy tortilla rolls stuffed with chicken, pork or steak; and fish tacos made of mahi mahi poached in a wine and tomato broth. Other featured dishes include pibil pork marinated in achiote, pipian enchiladas served with a pale green cilantro and pumpkin seed sauce and chile rellenos stuffed with seafood.
- Don't be dissuaded by the happy hour specials, acoustic guitar player and predictable decorations at Tequila Sunrise. This Oakland Park restaurant is more than just another tacky bar with generic Mexican food. Tequila Sunrise offers classics, a few uncommon Mexican specialties, a large selection of seafood dishes and award-winning margaritas. There are even low-carb tortillas and a no-fat, high-fiber menu for health-conscious eaters. Menu highlights include a chicken burrito with freshly shredded white meat, flavorful chicken fajitas, blue crab enchiladas and chilaquiles, a version of Mexican lasagna composed of layered cheese, sour cream, tortillas and protein (choose shrimp, chicken or beef, ground or shredded). And about those margaritas: The 48-ounce fish-bowl version is $7.99 and the regular-size $2.99 during the daily 3-7pm happy hour.
- Patron Azteca is new to Hollywood, but part of the same chain as Davie’s Azteca Real. The generic menus are strikingly similar, but food quality is significantly better at the Davie location. Chicken en mole that was congealed and devoid of flavor, chicken fajitas were bland and lacking any detectable seasoning and the burrito and chile relleno combo was 100% un-notable. This neighborhood needs more dining alternatives, so here's hoping Patron Azteca makes improvements.
Casa Maya Grill
Cove Shopping Center: 301 SE 15th Ter, Deerfield Beach
Prices: appetizers $4-$10, entrees $10-$16
Tequila Sunrise Mexican Grill
4711 N. Dixie Hwy, Oakland Park
Prices: appetizers $4.25-$9.95, entrees $7.49-$17.95
5181 Sheridan St, Hollywood
Prices: appetizers $3.50-$10.95, entrees $7.75-$16.50
- The Atlantic Hotel opens two new restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale Beach on April 4
- Weston's D’Angelo Pizza launches 12 for $12 lunch special
- Tsukuro launches "Lucky You" happy hour
- BC Cafe hosts beer pairing dinner March 29
- Grille 401 debuts sushi & sake bar on Las Olas
- Paula DaSilva hosts a three-month "Spring Awakening" brunch series at 3030 Ocean
- SAIA celebrates National Noodle Month with 25% off pad Thai shrimp
- Bite into something new this Feb: Restaurant openings in Wynwood, Fort Lauderdale & Aventura
- Toast National Margarita Day Feb 22
- SAIA woos AIA marathoners with a Feb 16 feast