Bridget Jones author Helen Fielding to make appearance
For Book Fair
The furor, thank heavens, has started to die down, says the would-be murderer of Colin Firth. “People are starting to come through it,” reports Helen Fielding, who stirred up a literary crisis with her latest Bridget Jones novel, Mad About the Boy (Knopf, $26.95). “It’s extraordinary, isn’t it? I knew there would be a reaction, but I wasn’t expecting to be watching the news and see something about the Syria crisis and the next thing is: ‘Mark Darcy is dead.’ ” That sentence would require a spoiler alert if the news hadn’t hit the Internet, TV and news outlets over the past few weeks, sending shockwaves throughout the Twitterverse and beyond. Fielding’s contemporary stand-in for Pride and Prejudice’s Mr. Darcy — the most dashing of all romantic heroes — is dead, which creates all sorts of confusion. “In Britain, he’s one big mix of Colin and Mark and Mr. Darcy,” Fielding says. Fielding appears Saturday at Miami Dade College as part of a series celebrating the 30th anniversary of Miami Book Fair International. 305-442-4408, booksandbooks.com
On Our Radar
- Miami Heat players attend opening of new Edition Boutique.
- Donald Trump spends Turkey Day in Florida
- Michael B Jordan in Miami talking 'Creed'
- Actor named honorary president of Miami Fashion Week
- Are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie coming to Art Basel?
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.