Brickell and Miami's Design District are getting new Italian restaurants
The owners of Sardinia Enoteca in Miami Beach are expanding their rustic-Italian reach into the mainland.
80 SW Eighth St., Miami
4029 N. Miami Ave., Miami
1801 Purdy Ave., Miami Beach
Eight years after opening Sardinia Enoteca Ristorante in Miami Beach, partners Tony Gallo and chef Pietro Vardeu are taking their rustic-Italian show on the road: to Brickell and the Design District.
The restaurateurs are planning to open two new spots within a week of each other this fall.
Up first: Moyé, a restaurant that will feature wines and food of southern Italy's Puglia region (the birthplace of oh-so-hot-right-now burrata). Housed in Brickell at 80 SW Eighth St., Moye will boast an open kitchen and will be the first U.S. branch of the restaurant, which already has three locations in Italy.
After Moye, Campania will open in the Design District at 4029 N. Miami Ave., in the former Egg & Dart space. The restaurant will focus on the cuisine of southern Italy's Campania region, which includes Naples and the Amalfi Coast. Gallo and Vardeu have custom-ordered a wood-burning pizza oven from Italy that will be the eatery's centerpiece.
The decision to open Moye and Campania in Miami, Gallo says, came in part from customer feedback at Sardinia.
"For the past several summers at Sardinia, we have hosted a regional dinner series ... that offers diners a taste of our favorite dishes from different parts of Italy," he says. "Puglia and Campania have always been the most popular menus.
"Sardinia’s success has convinced us that Miamians love authentic, rustic Italian."
- The List: Oceanaire's Kareem Anguin
- Miami Beach's Macchialina to open in Asheville
- Fresh American Bistro debuts in Sunny Isles
- The List: Seagrape's Michelle Bernstein
- Pubbelly and Wynwood Brewing Co. to open restaurant, beer bar on cruise ship
- Are these the best restaurants in South Florida?
- La Nuit en Rosé wine festival coming to Miami Beach Edition
- Miami's 15 most anticipated restaurants of 2015
- The List: 50 Eggs' John Kunkel
- The Burgies: Who will be South Florida's 2015 comfort-food champions?