Brew in Miami: The secret behind one-off beers
What's a one-off beer? Let us explain.
Craft Beer of the Week
Stone 18th Anniversary IPA
Style: Imperial India pale ale
Price: About $7 for a 22-ounce bottle
Where to find it: Total Wine and More.
Brew in Miami: This week’s episode of Brew in Miami explores the phenomenon of “one-off” beers. There are currently more than 3,700 breweries in the United States, and all of them have a core collection of beers they brew year-round. Breweries also put out a number of seasonal releases: pumpkin beers in fall, stouts in winter, wheat ales in spring and summer, etc. But for the hardcore craft beer geeks, breweries also release occasional one-off beers: One-time-only brews that are available for a very limited time.
Beer Story: Stone Brewing Co. in California this month released its 18th Anniversary IPA, an 8.5 percent alcohol by volume India pale ale brewed with El Dorado hops for a lemony, tropical-fruit freshness. Look for it on draft and in 22-ounce bottles around town, but do it fast: It won’t be around for long.
Pairing: Stone 18th Anniversary IPA goes great with blistered shishito peppers, which are showing up on menus all over Miami. I like the version at Basil Park, served with a dairy-free, Asian-style dipping sauce. 17608 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach.
- Cinco de Mayo beer dinner at The Federal will star J. Wakefield Brewing
- Raise a pint with Brew in Miami at Veritage Miami's Craft Beer Tasting in Wynwood
- Craft Beer of the Week: Victory Helles Lager
- Beer Haven turns Miami-Dade County Fair into a ... beer haven
- (Golf) Beer of the Week: G-Mac's Celtic-Style Pale Ale
- Craft Beer of the Week: Samuel Adams Crystal Pale Ale
- Green Flash Double Stout is a dream with chocolate
- Sixpoint Resin is a sticky-bitter monster of an IPA
- The gluten-free beer you should drink now
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Co. is one of Miami-Dade's newest craft breweries