Brew in Miami: Michael Schwartz's Home Brew turns 2
Michael's Genuine Home Brew celebrates its second birthday.
Brew in Miami: This week’s episode was shot on location at Harry's Pizzeria in Miami's Design District. Chef-owner Michael Schwartz talks about the origins and food-pairing possibilities of his Michael's Genuine Home Brew, which this month celebrates its second anniversary. Joining Schwartz and me on the ep are Ryan Goodspeed and Jackie Sayet, beverage director and brand director of Schwartz's Genuine Hospitality Group.
Beer Story: Home Brew is made by Back Forty Beer Co. in Gadsden, Alabama. As Schwartz explains, he built a rapport with the brewery while doing a fund-raiser in the area. He worked with Back Forty's brewers to create an original ale recipe that contained Florida-grown brown rice and sugarcane.
Pairing: While Schwartz says Home Brew is food friendly and pairs with “everything,” I especially love it with the thin-crust pies at Harry’s, 3918 N. Miami Ave., in Miami. The ale has a fresh, slightly fruity note that complements the lemon and cilantro flavors of the rock shrimp pizza.
Craft Beer of the Week
Michael's Genuine Home Brew
Style: American Amber Ale
Alcohol: 5 percent by volume
Price: $7 at Harry's Pizzeria (also available in 4-packs of 12-ounce bottles at Total Wine, Whole Foods and elsewhere).
- 3 Olympic-worthy Wywnood beer events this week
- Beer is finally flowing at this Doral brewery
- This brewery wants to prove your abuelita's domino game is strong
- Beer ice cream is real — and it will be boozy
- Beer that tastes like French toast? Only in Florida
- Cuba's oldest beer reborn in Miami
- Best places to celebrate American Craft Beer Week in Miami
- Miami's Best Breweries and Beer Bars
- Beer milkshakes are a 'thing' and they're coming to Wynwood
- Wynwood Brewing releases special beer