Brew in Miami: Michael Schwartz's Home Brew turns 2
Michael's Genuine Home Brew celebrates its second birthday.
Craft Beer of the Week
Michael's Genuine Home Brew
Style: American Amber Ale
Alcohol: 5 percent by volume
Price: $7 at Harry's Pizzeria (also available in 4-packs of 12-ounce bottles at Total Wine, Whole Foods and elsewhere).
Brew in Miami: This week’s episode was shot on location at Harry's Pizzeria in Miami's Design District. Chef-owner Michael Schwartz talks about the origins and food-pairing possibilities of his Michael's Genuine Home Brew, which this month celebrates its second anniversary. Joining Schwartz and me on the ep are Ryan Goodspeed and Jackie Sayet, beverage director and brand director of Schwartz's Genuine Hospitality Group.
Beer Story: Home Brew is made by Back Forty Beer Co. in Gadsden, Alabama. As Schwartz explains, he built a rapport with the brewery while doing a fund-raiser in the area. He worked with Back Forty's brewers to create an original ale recipe that contained Florida-grown brown rice and sugarcane.
Pairing: While Schwartz says Home Brew is food friendly and pairs with “everything,” I especially love it with the thin-crust pies at Harry’s, 3918 N. Miami Ave., in Miami. The ale has a fresh, slightly fruity note that complements the lemon and cilantro flavors of the rock shrimp pizza.
- Craft Beer of the Week: Samuel Adams Crystal Pale Ale
- Green Flash Double Stout is a dream with chocolate
- Sixpoint Resin is a sticky-bitter monster of an IPA
- The gluten-free beer you should drink now
- Biscayne Bay Brewing Co. is one of Miami-Dade's newest craft breweries
- New Year's beer: Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose
- New looks for local South Florida craft beers
- Italian beer happy hour at Bocce Bar
- Craft beer of the week: Concrete Beach Stiltsville Pilsner
- Eat, drink and smoke at MC Kitchen's beer dinner with Dogfish Head, Alec Bradley