Brew in Miami: J Wakefield Brewing gets ready to open in Wynwood
Accomplished homebrewer Johnathan Wakefield is about to release his tart, sour Florida weisse beers to Miami.
Brew in Miami: This week's episode of Brew in Miami takes a look inside the new J Wakefield Brewing at 120 NW 24th St. in Wynwood. Founder and brewer Johnathan Wakefield talks with us about the process behind his Florida Weisse style of beers as well as his other plans for the brewery, set to open later this month or early August. Also in the studio: Brett Hubbard, craft beer manager for Gold Coast Beverage, which will distribute Wakefield's beers.
Beer Story: We sampled some of J Wakefield's Can You Eat a Peach for Days? (the name's a riff on a line from Face/Off), a hazy, sour wheat beer fermented with Georgia peaches. The tartness is delightfully mouth-puckering, and the fruit gives the beer a sweet aroma and flavor to slightly tame the sour.
Pairing: I like the idea of putting Can You Eat a Peach up against some heat. Try pairing this one with a WKB Hamburguesita, a blend of chorizo and chicken with pickled jalapenos and a spicy pepper glaze, from J Wakefield's neighbor, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar, 2550 NW Second Ave.
- Sail with Funky Buddha Brewery on a craft brew cruise in March
- Brew in Miami: Buckets of craft beer at Pubbelly in Miami Beach
- Beer here: Boulevard Brewing expands distribution to Florida
- Brew in Miami: Michael Schwartz's Home Brew turns 2
- What Craft Beer Style Are You?
- Brew in Miami: The secret behind one-off beers
- Brew in Miami: How to make a Tommy Pickles beer cocktail
- Brew in Miami: 360 beers and a 'Gal' beer blogger
- Brew in Miami: Belgian beer stars at Bistro BE
- Brew in Miami: Grovetoberfest founder shares news about this year's fest