Brew in Miami: How to make a Tommy Pickles beer cocktail
MC Kitchen's Marcus Wade shows us how to make a beer cocktail with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and pickles.
Brew in Miami: This week’s episode features Marcus Wade of MC Kitchen in Miami's Design District and one of his signature beer cocktails: the Tommy Pickles (any "Rugrats" fans out there?). Marcus and his wife, MC Kitchen chef-partner Dena Marino, were on a previous episode of Brew in Miami, and Marcus' tales about his wild beer infusions had us thirsty for more.
Beer Story: Tommy Pickles is a blend of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA (Marcus says he's experimented with other Dogfish IPAs, but 60 Minute provides the best balance of flavor and hop bite) and Brooklyn Brine Hop Pickles. Those pickles are actually made with Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA as well as citrusy Cascade hops and caramelized onions. Marcus combines the beer and pickles (with a shot of their brine) in a modified tea infuser called Randall the Enamel Animal Jr. The alcohol from the beer pulls off the spicy, salty, botanical flavors from the pickles, Marcus says, and creates a beer cocktail that's balanced with some zip.
Pairing: Gotta go with MC Kitchen's Black Mission Fig Pizzetta. The sweetness of the figs and caramelized onion marmalade complement and contrast the hint of sweetness in the pickle brine and the spicy bite of the heat and hops. 4141 NE Second Ave., Miami.
Craft Beer of the Week
Tommy Pickles beer cocktail
Style: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA infused with Brooklyn Brine Hop Pickles.
Where to find it: MC Kitchen, 4141 NE Second Ave., Miami
- Beer that tastes like French toast? Only in Florida
- Cuba's oldest beer reborn in Miami
- Best places to celebrate American Craft Beer Week in Miami
- Miami's Best Breweries and Beer Bars
- Beer milkshakes are a 'thing' and they're coming to Wynwood
- Wynwood Brewing releases special beer
- Concrete Beach Brewery will brew aboard Carnival Cruise Line in May
- Bottoms up: 5 beerific Miami Craft Beer Week events of 2016
- BLT Prime, MIA Brewing team up for craft beer dinner in Doral
- Craft beers from Green Man Brewery in Asheville debut in Florida