Boutique of the week: Sprocket
You won't find Mike Myers or Mr. Spacely, but you'll find plenty of other off-beatness at this Upper Eastside shop.
By Maria Tettamanti
The name of George Jetson's place of employment? One of the best ever Mike Myers SNL skits? The home of the Upper Eastside's coolest urban gift shop? There must be something about the name Sprocket that screams offbeat and quirky.
Located inside HiHo Batik is the latter Sprocket, a boutique brimming with zany goodies for both children and adults. Owner Carolina Bravo says, "In my travels abroad, I always discovered stores that inspired me and always thought, 'I wish I could find fun, funky, art-driven items in Miami.'" So the sprockets, er, wheels, were set into motion and Sprocket launched alongside Julia Silver's HiHo Batik and Jill Gordon Mark's jewelry collection.
Merchandised in a come-touch-me manner, shoppers can unearth the unusual such as String Doll Gangs (intention dolls fashioned by architecture students in Thailand using one continuous string), colorful Ecoist recycled handbags, scented Plume candles, creamy Pacifica body butter, sensual nag champa incense and Tiny Tillia boo boo gel packs. Children's books entitled Half an Elephant and The Dictionary of Dance and adult reads such as Tokyo Architecture and Design are also on hand. CDs like Bar Gypsy, Les Fleurs Du Mal and Torch Songs, offbeat games like the Strip Tease Kit and antiquated cameras-turned-clocks dating back to the '20s add to the store's allure.
"Anything that's recycled is a huge hit here," Bravo says. "People love owning feel-good items."
Peeps also love a little diversity, and thanks to Sprocket for being just that.
Sprocket, 6925 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami; 305-756-7110
- The 5 Wonders of Wanderlista Boutique
- Fashion Designer Julian Chang Opening Boutique in MiMo District
- Get a Whiff of Diptyque, Bal Harbour’s New Boutique
- KARE Opens Flagship in Midtown Miami
- Tom Ford’s Flagship Opens in Design District
- SWGR Opens Gallery and Apparel Store in Wynwood
- New Sunglass Shop Opens in Wynwood
- Discover Finds, a New South Miami Accessory Boutique
- Market Man Opens in South Miami
- Kit and Ace Opens in Wynwood