Boutique of the week: Debbie Katz
We hate ironing, too.
By Annie Vazquez
Growing up Debbie Katz dreaded having to iron her clothes so much that she promised herself one day she would design clothing that you could just throw on and look great in. And that's exactly what the German transplant did when she moved to South Beach and discovered gauze. "I first made dresses for my daughter, Cheyenne, with my mom who's a seamstress," says Katz. "People kept asking me to make them some for their children so I decided to launch a clothing line."
Today, the former translator who speaks six languages is known for her bright-hued cotton gauze dresses and embroidered tunics, which are donned by celebs like Jessica Simpson and Kate Hudson. Her Asian-inspired collection of clothing and accessories for men, women and children is sold world-wide at boutiques and department stores, and now at her eponymous shop on Lincoln Road.
Inside the 1,433 sq. foot store, whose interior is all white -- from the walls to the floors to the display tables -- color oozes from her boho chic creations, which retail anywhere from $30 for a scarf to $280 for a silk beaded dress. On the racks are tunics, tops, asymmetrical skirts, dresses and drawstring pants that come in vibrant shades of blue, red, pink, yellow, green and tie-dye. Some bare intricate designs with beads while others have a minimalist flair.
When it comes to accessories, you'll find embellished straw and crochet bags, sandals and lots of dainty bracelets, earrings and necklaces. "The great thing about my stuff is that you can dress it up or dress it down," says Katz. "And the fact that you don't need to iron it."
Debbie Katz, 1629 Alton Rd; Miami Beach, 305-672-9778
Shopped here? Leave a review!
- Men Love Bonobos Shorts. And Bonobos loves Wynwood. See Why...
- Liquido: Seriously Cute Workout Clothes That Will Actually Make You Want To Hit The Gym
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the New Givenchy Store at Aventura Mall
- The 5 Wonders of Wanderlista Boutique
- Fashion Designer Julian Chang Opening Boutique in MiMo District
- Get a Whiff of Diptyque, Bal Harbour’s New Boutique
- KARE Opens Flagship in Midtown Miami
- Tom Ford’s Flagship Opens in Design District
- SWGR Opens Gallery and Apparel Store in Wynwood
- New Sunglass Shop Opens in Wynwood