Borscht Film Festival
The Borscht Film Festival features films of a Miami that is much more than a beautiful but vapid party town.
Miami's lovely skyline, shoreline and bikini lines are all well documented in many a crime drama, music video and buddy film but the Borscht Film Festival, started by local artists who were bored with the one-dimensional representation of their home town, gives a forum for filmmakers from around the world who explore the other side of Miami in film.
Currently in its 7th year, The Borscht Film Festival commissions, produces, and showcases films by emerging artists that tell Miami stories that go beyond the typical portrayal of a beautiful but vapid party town. Here are some highlights of this year's festival.
Wed. April 20th at 9 p.m.
SQUARE GROUPER: GODFATHERS OF GANJA
Enjoy the Miami premiere of the latest work by the legendary Rakontur (Cocaine Cowboys, The U) about the history of Everglades City pot smuggling. Free and friendly outdoor screening. Complimentary FUZE. Colony Theater, 1040 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach.
Thur April 21st at 10 p.m.
CINEMA SOUNDS BORSCHT EDITION
Roofless Rex presents four local bands performing live scores to scenes from their favorite films. Complimentary FUZE.
O Cinema, 90 NW 29th St., Miami; $8 Tickets at the door.
Fri. April 22nd at 8 p.m.
MIAMI CONNECTION ROOFTOP POOL SCREENING
Free screening of “Miami Connection,” perhaps the worst film ever made with the word „Miami‟ in the title, on the roof of Vizcayne Condominiums. Bring your bathing suit, as the film will be best seen from inside the pool. Complimentary Zignum Mezcal, FUZE, and fades— compliments of a 305 barber. Vizcayne, 244 Biscayne Blvd. 8th floor, Miami
Sat., April 23rd at 7:30 p.m.
The 7th edition of the Borscht Film Festival, featuring the first earthly screening of thirteen original commissioned short films by Miami talent, as well as submissions from the community. Hosted by James Francco, the robot. Reserve Tickets in the Orchestra and Orchestra Circle for $20, which includes BORSCHT 7 t-shirt, poster, tattoo, and other glorious surprises. Get your tickets now at www.arshtcenter.org. Knight Concert Hall at the Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami.
BORSCHT’S AURIS AFTERPARTY CONCERT
Immediately following Borscht 7, walk over to the Villa Mansion for an outdoor concert by local bands featured in the films. Ticket complimentary with reserved seat for Borscht 7. FUZE is helping throw it down, and drink specials on Zignum Mezcal and more. Villa 221, 221 NE 17th St., Miami.
See and Do
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6