Boca Raton native Ariana Grande: lots going on
Ariana Grande sped closer to stardom last week, as her catchy Mariah Careyesque single The Way, which features Pittsburgh rapper Mac Miller, went platinum, with more than a million copies sold. Grande has already made appearances on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallo n, even singing Payphone alongside Maroon 5’s Adam Levine. “Since I performed it live on Ellen, the nicest thing people are saying is that they’re excited I’m a real singer, that I don’t fake my singing,” Grande said. The song bears a strong resemblance to R&B diva Carey, as Grande’s poppy vocals pair nicely with Miller’s raps, giving the song a ’90s R&B crossover vibe. Carey embraced that role throughout her career. Grande even did a cover of Carey’s 1991 hit single Emotions last year, paying tribute to a “queen,” in her words. She said the comparisons are “the biggest compliment in the world,” but she wants to be her own artist. “I try to just sing how I sing,” Grande said. “As a new female artist who is viewed in the industry, you always have to be compared to somebody. . . . It comes with the territory.”
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'