Boca Raton native Ariana Grande: lots going on
Ariana Grande sped closer to stardom last week, as her catchy Mariah Careyesque single The Way, which features Pittsburgh rapper Mac Miller, went platinum, with more than a million copies sold. Grande has already made appearances on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallo n, even singing Payphone alongside Maroon 5’s Adam Levine. “Since I performed it live on Ellen, the nicest thing people are saying is that they’re excited I’m a real singer, that I don’t fake my singing,” Grande said. The song bears a strong resemblance to R&B diva Carey, as Grande’s poppy vocals pair nicely with Miller’s raps, giving the song a ’90s R&B crossover vibe. Carey embraced that role throughout her career. Grande even did a cover of Carey’s 1991 hit single Emotions last year, paying tribute to a “queen,” in her words. She said the comparisons are “the biggest compliment in the world,” but she wants to be her own artist. “I try to just sing how I sing,” Grande said. “As a new female artist who is viewed in the industry, you always have to be compared to somebody. . . . It comes with the territory.”
On Our Radar
- Celebrity doctor's Grove home sells
- Miami teen hits the big time
- Inside details of Sofia Vergara's wedding
- DWTS cast members will present SWAY: A Dance Trilogy at Olympia Theater
- Trey Songz and friends spend the day giving back.
- Recap: Miami.com Experience - Pop-Up Dinner at Bocce with Sugarcane
- Tiger Woods' ex holds dinner in Palm Beach
- Jamaican pop star OMI at club opening
- Miami's (wannabe) adopted son David Beckham is 'Sexiest Man'
- Influence Miami at Bakehouse Art Complex