Blue Collar serves up wallet-friendly comfort food in MiMo
Chef Daniel Serfer aims for working-class cred with Blue Collar, located on Biscayne Boulevard.
6730 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
The goods: MiMo’s American Noodle Bar space aims for working-class cred with Blue Collar, helmed by Chef Daniel Serfer (Chef Allen’s).
Ambience: The tiny spot with 20 indoor seats and space for 18 on the patio is dominated by an open kitchen. A blackboard touts the day’s specials and a rotating list of vegetable sides. Mid-century style white chairs, blue upholstered benches, metal lunchboxes, vintage metal thermoses and waiters in old-school diner uniforms create a homey vibe.
The grub: Contemporary comfort food. Serfer blends childhood favorites with more sophisticated dishes. Prices are neighborhood-friendly, with most starters $6, pastas and mains $11-$25 and sides $4. Wines by the glass are $5-$9, and beers are $3-$5.
Dinner begins with half a loaf of crusty bread and butter. Starter highlights include pork and beans with a fried egg (pictured), bacon-sprinkled shrimp and grits, latkes with house-made applesauce and decadent mac and cheese made with Trugole, Cheddar and Parmesan. Mains include a delicate snapper in spicy red curry sauce, a hefty veggie burger with fries, chicken Parmesan and ribs (baby-back, short or spare). Save room for veggie sides like curried cauliflower puree, roasted beets with goat cheese, grilled asparagus with blue cheese and spaghetti squash with butter.
Down-home desserts include warm berry cobbler, a huge slab of espresso chocolate cake and Heath Bar bread pudding.
The verdict: A mod diner on Biscayne Blvd serving affordable, belly-filling comfort food.
- Philadelphia restaurateur Stephen Starr opens Verde, a power-lunch spot at new Perez Art Museum Miami
- Tony Mantuano brings sophisticated Italian cooking to South Beach with Lorenzo
- SoHo's Lure Fishbar opens at Loews South Beach
- Fez is a sultry den of Middle Eastern delights on Miami Beach's Espanola Way
- Semilla brings a romantic gastropub to Miami Beach's Alton Road
- Colette brings a Parisian vibe to the Western end of Miami Beach's Lincoln Road
- Former Biltmore chef Philippe Ruiz unveils Lippi, his ode to Mediterranean cooking in Brickell
- The District Miami is a laid-back spot for Latin-influenced small plates and craft beers
- Downtown Miami's Area 31 is reborn with an upscale seafood-centric menu
- A Passage to India delivers a pop-up Indian restaurant to the Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove