Black Friday Festival features Kendrick Lamar on Nov. 23
Inaugural music concert at Sunset Cove Amphitheater in Boca Raton
It seems like there’s always some up-and-coming rapper who’s the “next Tupac” or the “new Snoop.” But this time the hype is for real: Kendrick Lamar, a member of the hip-hop supergroup Black Hippy, seems to represent the natural evolution of Tupac’s soul. And it feels like destiny: When he was 8, he watched his idols Tupac and super-producer Dr. Dre film the video for their hit “California Love.”
Eight years later, the Compton MC dropped his first mixtape, “Youngest Head N---- in Charge,” which landed him a record deal with Top Dawg. Lamar’s star was rising such that even before he released his major-label debut on Interscope Records last month (“good kid, m.A.A.d. City,” which hit No. 2 on the Billboard charts in its first week), he had already worked with heavyweights including Dr. Dre, Drake, The Game, Rick Ross, Pharrell Williams, Young Jeezy, Lil Wayne – even Lady Gaga.
Catch Lamar’s unique style (his voice sounds as though he’s just inhaled a massive lungful of smoke, and XXL Magazine called him “fearless and brilliant”) as he headlines the inaugural Black Friday Festival kicking off at 5 p.m. Nov. 23 at Sunset Cove Amphitheater in Boca Raton (12551 Glades Road). Miami Heat DJ Irie will host; other acts include Kanye West’s latest project, Pusha T; Kid Ink, making his South Florida debut; singer-songwriter Makayla Duvall; electro-pop singer Ty Sade; and many more.
The concert also represents the premiere of T-Ticket by KottonZoo, which allows people to actually wear their tickets – each T-Ticket shirt is printed with a unique ink code that’s scanned at the gate. (Very cool!)
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more
- Miami Soul: 2nd Saturdays Wynwood Art Walk guide of cool events to check out July 11
- National Urban League Conference takes over South Florida July 29 - August 2, 2015 with Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush confirmed
- Miami Soul weekend guide: South Florida HBCU Picnic, RonDayVu Day Party, A Conversation on Haitian/Dominican Crisis
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Juneteenth Food & Music Festival, Greek Cookout, Deltas After Dark, and more
- Miami Soul: Caribbean-American Heritage Month Events Around South Florida