BKMIA brings Brooklyn, Wynwood together at Wood Tavern
Music collection showcases similarities of both cities and cultures
It was only a matter of time before hipster haven Brooklyn teamed up with hipster haven Wynwood to form some sort of collective, this time a big music event from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 24 at Wood Tavern, 2521 NW 2nd Ave., in which the Two Cities One Culture will "shine the spotlight on the unique alliance and synergy between the two cities as well as showcase the similarities of both cultures in relation to music.” Among the artists on the lineup: Haitian Hillbilly, Metro Zu, Lolo, Kool AD of DAS Racist, Chris Oh, Steven A. Clark, Artime, Deaf Poets and many more. Tickets range from $15 to $20. For more information go to www.woodtavernmiami.com.
Punch Drunk Love
The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach's DiLido Beach Club wants you to soak up the sauce on Saturdays, when, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. there will be an unlimited selection of $25 punch bowls filled with tequila, rum or vodka, among other things, or, for those who don't want to take that sort of plunge, $10 cocktails. There's also $20 ceviche duos and a DJ spinning lounge music while the rest of you sucking down punch bowls are busy, well, just spinning.
Keying Up for Art Basel
Remember that piano that was floating in the middle of Biscayne Bay? Apparently it inspired the folks from Steinway & Sons Miami to create Pop-Up Piano Miami in which eight strategically placed, artist-designed pianos will show up throughout the Wynwood, Midtown, Downtown and Design District areas. At the end of Art Basel week, they will be donated to charities. To get everyone in, uh, tune before things get crazy, Pop-Up Piano Miami is hosting a pre-Art Basel mixer from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28 at Miami Iron Side, an arty live and work complex at 7500 NE 4th Court, and featuring food, booze, art and more. Open to the public, but RSVP is mandatory via www.miamiironside.com/popuppiano.
Catering to the Children
Bill Hansen, caterer and teacher at FIU's Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, is,along with his class, hosting a fundraiser from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Thursday, Nov. 29 at the Kovens Conference Center to benefit His House Children's Home, which provides residential care for abused and neglected children. The event will feature snacks prepared by the students and donated by local establishments and cocktails. Tickets are $20 per person. Call 305-338-1987 to purchase.
Tryptophan, the Light Fantastic
After the inevitable Thanksgiving pig out, head to Equinox South Beach on for a free class--the DJ edition of MetCon3, the high intensity metabolic conditioning that will allow you to pig out some more at all those upcoming holiday parties. Class is on Wednesday, Nov. 28 and starts at 8 p.m. but get there ten minutes early or else your fat won't be the subject of the burning.
The Pao of Education
Pao Town, 2621 Ponce De Leon Blvd. is hosting The Education Fund's 2012 Celebrity Teach-A-Thon fundraiser at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28. Owner Abe Ng, who will teach a class at the Culinary Arts Academy at Coral Gables Senior High, will donate 15% of all sales from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. that night, proceeds which will go to fund activities and supplies in classrooms throughout Miami-Dade public schools. Click here for more information.
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard