Bite into American eats at Vesper in the Shelborne, Miami Beach
Restaurant is entered via its kitchen, giving it a mafia-movie vibe.
The Shelborne Hotel
1801 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
The goods: Vesper is a clandestine supper club serving upscale American standards in South Beach’s revamped Shelborne Hotel.
Ambience: Tucked away in the back of the hotel, Vesper is entered via its kitchen, giving it a mafia-movie vibe. The petite dining room feels like an underground gentlemen’s club with wood paneling, leather banquettes and black and white photos. A large patio offers al fresco seating with white couches, candlelight, ocean breezes and pool views.
The grub: American classics. Chef Frank Ferreiro (Prime Italian) creates a simple menu of generously portioned, upscale comfort food. Prices are on par with SoBe hotels -- starters $12-$16, mains $25-$52, sides $7-$9.
The gratis bread basket features house-made cornbread, cheese bread and ciabatta rolls. Begin with warm artichoke-spinach dip in a mini-casserole dish, colossal crab cocktail, a standard Caesar salad with sourdough croutons or the iceberg wedge with Nueske bacon. Mains include a gargantuan platter of shrimp scampi over linguine, a shepherd’s pie with Kobe beef wagyu, grilled branzino bathed in a champagne lemon-butter sauce over roasted corn and a 12-ounce filet with black truffle or Gorgonzola butter.
Desserts include the diet-busting “zeppoli” fried oreos with chocolate dipping sauce, a platter of donuts accompanied by vanilla milkshake and Key lime cheesecake.
Verdict: An attractive patio and covert dining room provide the backdrop to upscale American dishes at the reborn Shelborne.
- Scott Conant's in the kitchen (sometimes) at Corsair in Aventura
- Ted's at YoungArts fills gastro-entertainment niche in Miami
- Things are F.A.B. at new restaurant in Sunny Isles Beach
- La Terrasse restaurant serves high-end French-Med in South Beach
- Campania plants Southern Italian flag in Miami's Design District
- La Savina in the Mondrian puts a little Ibiza in South Beach
- Tacos and more at Miami Beach's bodacious Bodega
- Bistro Bal Harbour weaves Latin influences into modern American cooking
- 27 Restaurant serving eclectic home cooking, stylish cocktails in Miami Beach
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach