Bite into American eats at Vesper in the Shelborne, Miami Beach
Restaurant is entered via its kitchen, giving it a mafia-movie vibe.
The Shelborne Hotel
1801 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
The goods: Vesper is a clandestine supper club serving upscale American standards in South Beach’s revamped Shelborne Hotel.
Ambience: Tucked away in the back of the hotel, Vesper is entered via its kitchen, giving it a mafia-movie vibe. The petite dining room feels like an underground gentlemen’s club with wood paneling, leather banquettes and black and white photos. A large patio offers al fresco seating with white couches, candlelight, ocean breezes and pool views.
The grub: American classics. Chef Frank Ferreiro (Prime Italian) creates a simple menu of generously portioned, upscale comfort food. Prices are on par with SoBe hotels -- starters $12-$16, mains $25-$52, sides $7-$9.
The gratis bread basket features house-made cornbread, cheese bread and ciabatta rolls. Begin with warm artichoke-spinach dip in a mini-casserole dish, colossal crab cocktail, a standard Caesar salad with sourdough croutons or the iceberg wedge with Nueske bacon. Mains include a gargantuan platter of shrimp scampi over linguine, a shepherd’s pie with Kobe beef wagyu, grilled branzino bathed in a champagne lemon-butter sauce over roasted corn and a 12-ounce filet with black truffle or Gorgonzola butter.
Desserts include the diet-busting “zeppoli” fried oreos with chocolate dipping sauce, a platter of donuts accompanied by vanilla milkshake and Key lime cheesecake.
Verdict: An attractive patio and covert dining room provide the backdrop to upscale American dishes at the reborn Shelborne.
- Eating House branches out with Taperia Raca in Miami's MiMo neighborhood
- Michelin-starred chef Danny Grant helms 1826, South Beach’s latest slick eatery
- Michelin-starred chef Michael Fulci helms La Maison, a new posh spot in SoFi
- Executive chef Mark Rivera (Tatu) helms Bao, Fort Lauderdale’s latest Asian eatery
- Buns & Buns serves up bread-based dishes with gastropub leanings in South Miami
- The Prime112 team unveils seafood-centric Prime Fish on South Beach
- Take a "First Look" at 15 Steps: Farm-to-table eats at the Eden Roc
- Chef-owner Rocco Carulli brings R House, a lounge-gallery-restaurant, to Wynwood
- Nothing But the Best delivers elegant simplicity in Brickell
- Fashion designer Roberto Cavalli opens his first Miami restaurant on South Beach