A bold menu & dining elegance in an easy-to-miss Plantation hotel.
By Rochelle Koff
Chef Adrian Deacon has spent years crafting a bold menu at elegant Bin 595, an easy-to-miss fine-dining destination in Plantation's Renaissance Hotel. He's not afraid to add chocolate to goat cheese atop wild mushroom ravioli or serve a vodka-braised Maine lobster. In a meat and potatoes town, his spuds are a mascarpone cheese potato puree with black truffles. Originally from Jamaica, Deacon melds Caribbean, Latin and American cuisine. The mix, while not always successful, can be memorable.
Ambiance: Expect a classy experience. The dining room has a cozy wine bar, aqua and red circular banquettes, dark wood, colorful lights and large pillars that divide the 170-seat space. Staff is excellent, well-trained, accommodating and gracious.
- Delicious crab chowder packed with jumbo lump crab, corn, a hint of allspice and brandy
- Rich, soul-satisfying conch chowder with aromatic spices, fiery scotch bonnet pepper, Bahamian conch, potatoes and a tostone
- Griddle cake, with roasted corn, crab and lobster
- Scallops and prawns rubbed in island spices, grilled on sugar cane skewers and served with a pineapple guava sauce and risotto
- Plump wild mushroom ravioli simmered with asparagus, baby spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, baby leeks and roasted fava beans
- Juicy, nicely grilled New York strip
- Moist, flaky pan-seared yellowtail snapper dusted with spices and paired with coconut curry basmati rice with a pineapple ginger beurre blanc sauce
- Dulce de leche-banana spring rolls with coconut gelato in an almond tuille basket
What Didn’t Work
- Wild king salmon was a little well-done and lacked pizzazz
Bin 595 Eclectic Grille and Wine Bar at the Renaissance Hotel: 1230 S. Pine Island Rd., Plantation. 954-472-2252;
Hours:Breakfast 6:30-11 a.m., lunch 11 a.m.-2 p.m., lounge menu 2-5 p.m., dinner 5-10 p.m. daily. Bar open to midnight (with bar menu). Prices: Starters $8-$16, entrees $21-$38, sides $8, desserts $8, breakfast buffet $15.95.
FYI: Full bar; corkage fee $15. Free parking. AX, DN, DS, MC, VS.
- An upscale Mexican restaurant from Coyo Taco chef in Miami Beach
- These gourmet doughnuts are coming to Westchester
- No more standing outside: Salty Donut opens permanently Saturday
- There's art inside and outside of this Wywnood Brewing beer bottle
- Art Basel Eats: From Pop-ups to New Openings
- This man loves burgers so much he built a museum to them
- How a historic pump house became a luxe new restaurant near Morningside
- Their restaurants will be neighbors – so these top chefs cooked for each other
- Why ‘Top Chef’ brothers are opening their first restaurant together in Miami
- A Miami Book Fair event for 'Top Chef' fans, book lovers