Billy Ray Cyrus headlining Miami Rocks Our Troops concert
Billy Ray Cyrus has various projects going on, but he couldn’t think of a better reason to get himself here for Miami Rocks Our Troops concert 8 p.m. Saturday at the BankUnited Center in Coral Gables. The country singer/ Hannah Montana patriarch will do his classic ode to veterans, Some Gave All, as well as jam out with the likes of ZZ Top’s Billy Gibson and local star Jon Secada.
We caught up with Cyrus before his trip.
Are you looking forward to performing?
Getting folks together to honor the people who served our country and make some music? Yeah! It’s going to be so much fun. It’s really a diverse collection of artists. I’m coming full circle because I wrote Some Gave All 20 years ago about a Vietnam vet. It was off my first album. I’ll also open with a song from my new album, Change My Mind. And if Billy and Jon want to join me for Achy Breaky Heart, I’d love that.
Talk a little about your new record.
I started writing the majority of it about two years ago. It’s a very rewarding process as a songwriter and an artist. I can really see my evolution because I’m getting back to my [Kentucky] roots: Where I’ve been, where I’m at, where I’m going, where I’m from. It’s been quite a ride.
Who are some of your biggest influences?
On my album, you’ll hear the bluegrass of Bill Monroe Bill and Earl Scruggs; the outlaw country of Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson; and the Southern rock of Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band and Charlie Daniels. Then there’s straight up Led Zeppelin and ZZ Top, who were also huge for me.
On Our Radar
- Draya Michele debuts Mint Swim collection in Miami, shows off curves at the beach
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud
- You'll Never Guess Where 'The Rock' Calls his Favorite Place to Eat in Miami
- How to keep getting Miami.com on Facebook